‘Put a Cuban in your mouth’: An ode to Gordos

Tallahassee wouldn’t be the same without it

If you’re a student here at Florida State, you’ve been to or at least heard of the one and only Gordos. This Cuban Cuisine is one like no other. I don’t know if Tallahassee would be the same if Gordos didn’t exist.

Could you imagine how many fun times, great food and a one-of-a-kind drinks we’d be missing out on? This is definitely a place I’m going to miss after I graduate, and there are so many reasons why.

Gordos’ Smashes (obviously)

There’s nothing quite like a Smash with all your best friends. Who would have thought a drink could be so good, yet so deadly? One of the best parts about ordering a Smash is you can keep the cup. I honestly think I have about three to five cups in my kitchen cabinet right now. May seem a little excessive, I know, but they make the perfect plastic cup for the house.

At Gordos, it just seems natural to order a Smash. If you don’t, it’s like going to Chick-fil-A and not getting waffle fries. When I asked my friend Alecia why Gordos is her favorite thing about FSU, she replied, “Because Smashes.”

The happiest of hours

Happy Hour without a trip to Gordos will have people questioning, “Did you even go to Happy Hour?” There’s nothing like drinking a Smash and having some Cuban cuisine before heading to Pots. Don’t worry if you never make it to Pots or Clyde’s – Gordos is just as fun by itself, maybe even better.

Sometimes you just want that more laid back kind of Happy Hour, and this place fulfills that want in the best way. Gordos is where I’ve heard the best stories from my friends and had some of the best laughs. It really is the happiest of hours (definitely the happiest with a Smash in your hand).

The sign out front literally never disappoints

Never has Gordos let me down on their sign out front. Sometimes I’m in shock they are able to get away with the sayings they put up. Once, I drove past Gordos and while at the stop light, I glanced over at the sign because it’s always worth it. Lo and behold the sign said, “Don’t grow up it’s a trap. Come get smashed.” That’s a really good advertisement if I do say so myself. Kind of makes you want to grab a Smash and put a Cuban in your mouth.

Parents are always welcome

Gordos is definitely one of the few places in Tallahassee where it is acceptable to bring your parents. I find it so weird and uncomfortable when I see a mom or even some dads wondering around Pots or The Strip. I don’t care if they are “still young at heart.”

There are so many better places to get drunk and let you parents get a taste of college once again, like Gordos. When I see a parent at Gordos I think to myself, “That is so going to be me when I’m older.” I honestly love seeing parents getting Smashes and getting smashed.

Gordos Sauce for the win

You know when you go to a Hibachi restaurant and they have that white sauce we all swear has something “extra” in it because it’s just too good? Well, that’s the same thing when it comes to Gordos Sauce.

It can be paired with pretty much anything you get there. It’s just like the Smashes, you can’t go to Gordos and not get the sauce. It’s safe to say, if you’re going to put a Cuban in your mouth. make sure it has some Gordos Sauce on it.

Florida State University