Graduation ceremonies are ridiculous and outdated

Why are we here when it’s 91 degrees outside?

I write this while sitting in the lobby of a hotel around 3:40pm waiting for my room to be ready. Who else is in this magnificent lobby you may ask? My parents and grandparents, other weary looking adults, and for some odd reason, a drove of Ukrainians. All here for the sole purpose of the UF graduation.

DISCLAIMER I am a Florida State student who is in Gainesville attending my sisters graduation.

Me with my family after UF graduation

My sister graduates at 7:00pm and the only thought running through my head at the moment is, “Why the hell do we have to go through this long, painful, and expensive process?”

In my mind, a simple party thrown for my lovely sister with family and some ice cream would have been equally “fun” and a lot less expensive. A LOT less expensive. Adding up the fees for my sisters graduation gown, gas to drive here, one night at a hotel, food, and other expenses, this affair could cost upwards of $1000. All for what? To spend 3 hours in an outdoor stadium watching person after person I could not care less about receive their piece of paper, waiting to hear the one name I do know?

It was 91 degrees when I took this picture

Going to a university used to be a rarity. Going to a university used to be a privilege, so when a family member or close friend graduated, it was gigantic news. The graduation ceremony was the icing on top of the cake. But this was 75 years ago when working at the mill could support a family of four.

Today, going to a college is almost a necessity to make a decent living wage. This is because the amount of college graduates has risen dramatically within the last 50 years. There are roughly 8,000 UF graduates this spring semester and when you add all the other graduating seniors across the country… what makes you stand out to the others?

Two hours in and they haven’t even started to hand out the pieces of paper

My family and I have moved to the stadium, where the ceremony is occurring. I don’t know why I brought up living wages and graduation numbers to make a point about graduation ceremonies but maybe there is some truth in what I’m saying. It could also be because it’s 91 degrees outside.

All I know is that all this orange is burning my eyes and I want to get out of this fucking heat.

Florida State University