Tallahassee held its first Fashion Week and it was amazing

‘Is there even fashion in Tallahassee?’

Line of Models

With such a culturally diverse community of students at Florida State University, Tallahassee has become more than just a small college town integrated with the Florida Legislature. These students arrive at Florida State in order set-up their futures and show the world their visions and talents.

With the collaboration of Clutch Magazine, The Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) and The American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC), these students with a drive towards style and fashion, created Tallahassee Fashion Week.

This three-day event kicked off with Clutch Magazine’s twentieth issue and tenth anniversary. Clutch Magazine is Florida State’s student run fashion magazine, which is constantly raising the bar in what it means to be original and creative.

The event took place at the Level 8 Lounge of the Hotel Duval. The gorgeous hues of the Tallahassee sunset painted a picture behind attendees in cocktail attire using the magazine as their newest accessory.

Clutch Magazine’s twentieth issue set the precedent at the beginning of Tallahassee Fashion Week, as its original content, graphics and photos, strengthen the notion of creativity and blurred the line between what it means to be a student and a professional.

The second evening of Tallahassee Fashion Week was Tallahassee’s Fashion Night Out. This took place at Divas and Devils: House of Style, where the concept of eras and vintage are merged together to illicit a euphoric blast from the past.

Located in Midtown, the specialty boutique invites shoppers in with their vast amount of vintage clothes from a plethora of eras, and its unique concept of designer labels mixed with vintage garments. The assortment of outfits one could create at this boutique, allowed attendees to not only delve into their own creativity and imaginations, but also gave them a chance to hear the vision behind this line of business.

The final day of Tallahassee Fashion Week was held at the newly renovated Double Tree Hotel, with the collaboration of AATCC and CMA in the “Essence of Spring” Fashion Show.

The ballroom was lined with chairs on the three sides of the runway giving it the feeling of a thrust theater. A red carpet doubled as the catwalk with colored rose petals accenting the simplistic concept of spring. The black backdrop hid thirty models behind it, whose make-up and hair were all cohesive with all their various outfit changes and struts.

The energy and catwalks of the models, paired with the interest of the spectators, closed Tallahassee Fashion Week with a yearning for more. Completely produced by students from Florida State, Tallahassee Fashion Week had a little bit of everything for everyone.

Whether it was the vivid photo-shoot pictures paired with the great editorials from Clutch Magazine, the night at Divas and Devils, or the portrayal of spring through fashion, Tallahassee Fashion Week paved way for the future of fashion in this small college town filled with students bursting with creativity and potential.

Florida State University