FSU’s football team is LOADED with star potential

Notes from spring game: Watch out Sean Maguire

Current renovations to Doak Stadium led the Seminoles to travel to Orlando to hold their annual spring game, which ended in a 24-24 tie. The end result of the game is the least of worries, seeing as these spring games are meant to showcase the new talent while training for the upcoming fall season.

The Tab watched the spring game and and gathered some observations you’ll want to know for the upcoming season.

Watch out Sean Maguire

The freshmen quarterbacks are loaded with talent. Deondre Francois completed 20 of 33 passes for 246 yards while throwing two touchdowns and two interceptions. Malik Henry threw 15 of 22 for 205 yards with two touchdowns. While Sean Maguire is still the starter, expect a quarterback battle between him and Deondre Francois for the starting job. Francois’ ability to run also gives him an edge over Sean Maguire, seeing as Francois ran six times for 37 yards, with the longest run being 25 yards. This ability to extend drives gives the Seminoles an edge that they desperately needed last year. If I’m Sean Maguire, I would put in extra work at the gym and film study.

Auden Tate can be the next Kelvin Benjamin

The 6-foot-5, 218 pound receiver balled out at the spring game, totaling six catches for 100 yards and two touchdowns. While averaging 16.7 yards per catch, the receiver showed that he can be the end-zone threat that was missing last year. His size allows the team to throw isolated fades and jump balls  to him which will be bound to result in many, many touchdowns. This fall’s upcoming deadly duo that will erupt Doak could be that from Francois and Tate.

The defense will be just fine

The loss of potential future NFL star Jalen Ramsey hurts tremendously, there is no way of replacing his shut down corner ability that is being lauded by NFL scouts, but life goes on. This year’s defense is still loaded with talent, ranging from safety Derwin James to Ro’Derrick Hoskins. James led the team in tackles during the spring game with nine including a goal line stop while Hoskins finished with five tackles, a sack, and an interception.

Goodbye Roberto, Hello Ricky

Roberto Aguayo will be missed, seeing as he was the most successful kicker in NCAA history, but to fill his shoes is his younger brother Ricky Aguayo. The freshman seems ready to fulfill his brothers spot, and showcased that by nailing a 46 yard field goal to finish the game in a tie.

Expect this upcoming football season to be much more jovial than last season’s. With the quarterback situation intensifying, we can expect better competition and better talent than last year.

Adding a better quarterback with more weapons like Auden Tate can boost FSU’s offense to another level, one that can be feared and admired. Combine that with another season of stellar defense with some new faces, and you can expect this year’s football team to try and compete for a high ranking bowl game, and if things go well, potentially a national championship.

Florida State University