I will proudly eat Chipotle even after the norovirus scandal

Chipotle, you don’t need to buy my love

The infamous E. Coli breakouts at Chipotle are not news to anyone. Since November 2015, nearly 55 reported cases of serious illness and deaths have been linked to the Mexican restaurant. Across the board, sales have dropped and some stores have even gone on to close down completely. These very serious conditions have got a lot of people buzzing and boycotting.

In an effort to get people back into its stores, Chipotle has been giving out coupons and free stuff as if America opened the Mexican border. A month ago, Chipotle closed its stores for one day, unannounced, and decided to give out free burrito coupons to anyone who simply texted a phone number. The company claimed it was their way of giving customers a “rain check,” but was really just a way to entice people back into the stores. The company has also repeatedly and frequently been sending out both buy one get one free coupons as well as just straight up free bowls in the mail. The newest effort brought in an influx of guac lovers for some free chips and guac which were rewarded to anyone who played a silly little guac loving game.

Now, I am not hating on the free food, after all guacamole is more expensive than gas right now, however, I’m just saying that Chipotle never really needed to buy back my love.

My love for a good ole “authentic” burrito runs farther than the Rio Grand itself. Though my health is a high priority for me, burrito bowls are more important. I would take the chance of getting a disease just to experience the perfect mix of rice, cheese, steak, and guac. Honestly, when I heard the reports about e. coli my only thoughts were “dang, that’s unfortunate,”  but cutting out chips and guac was never really option for me.

Frankly, it doesn’t really seem like it was an option for anyone, but hey I’m not a business major. I don’t know economics. I just know a deep love on build your own burritos. Any college town with a Chipotle still had lines out the door and the free food only made the lines longer, yet these are the types of sacrifices I am willing to make for the food chain. I am a product of my generation and I am part of a generation built on black beans and carnitas.

The way I see it, if I die from eating Chipotle, I will die happy. While I do appreciate free food and shorter lines, I have to admit, I never stopped loving you, Chipotle. We all have our flaws and nobody’s perfect, but nothing beats your lime salted chips and signature guacamole. Therefore, I will gladly accept your faults.

…but like any good boyfriend, please don’t stop giving me gifts as a way to show your love and appreciation.

Florida State University