Islam is not synonymous with terrorism

Assuming so is offensive, and frankly racist

I aspire to go to law school and work on behalf of a non-profit organization. I give money to homeless people when I can. I do my best to make everyone feel like they matter. I love wholeheartedly. I crave adventure and experience and learning about new cultures and people. I lost my mommy when I was 18, and I’ve been working hard to make something of myself and help those around me do the same every day since.

I’m also Muslim. My dad hasn’t missed a Friday prayer in years and his side of the family lives in Gaza Strip. I fast all 30 days of Ramadan and sometimes I listen to the Quran to help me fall asleep. Am I still the normal, law school bound, hard working girl I was ten seconds ago? Or is all of that out the window now, because I’m someone people may associate with terrorism?

Because I’m Muslim, I’ve had people I don’t know personally attack me. They’ve told me all Muslims should be forced to leave the United States. I’ve had a boss say all Muslims are violent and evil when he thought I wasn’t listening. Growing up, kids in school used to joke and call me a terrorist. A fellow intern I worked with over the summer slowly distanced himself from me once he realized I was Muslim. Sometimes when I’m at lunch and people ask why I can’t eat pork, I wonder whether or not they’re judging me for my answer.

If this is how it feels for me, what about the girls that wear hijabs? I have it easy — no one could tell by looking at me that I’m Muslim. I can’t imagine how it would feel to be disliked solely based on the fact that covering my hair makes me feel good about who I am. It’s sad.

Muslims are not terrorists and terrorists are not Muslim. Islam does not praise violence, in fact there’s a verse in the Quran that says to kill one innocent person is like killing all of humanity. Islam teaches me to love my neighbors, to be forever indebted to my teachers, and to be accepting and respectful of other people’s views. I understand terrorist groups have committed heinous crimes in the name of Islam, and it is completely understandable to initially be afraid of Muslims. However, when your fellow Muslim Americans are screaming at the top of their lungs that their religion doesn’t in fact promote violence, you should use the brain that God gave you and listen.

I know that’s difficult when you’re scared and American politicians who know better are tapping into your fears and using you for votes. But you need to find it in your heart to maybe get to know someone who’s Muslim or research the peaceful teachings of our religion, because wrongly discriminating against someone due to a lack of knowledge isn’t Christian or Kosher or humane.  Don’t add to the divide in our nation. Make our country one where people of different races, colors, and faiths don’t have to wonder whether or not they’re being judged for being different. To the people who already know that: Stop being a bystander to the hate and stand up for your friends, for your neighbors, and for the kids who just don’t deserve it.

Florida State University