Florida State Mock Trial are off to ORCS

Championship series here we come

The Florida State Mock Trial teams, Garnet and Gold, have both received bids for the Opening Round Championship Series.

You’ve read about them already. They’ve taken trophies before. Now they’ve got another one.

Our Florida State Mock Trial went to the Orlando Regional competition and showed their #SeminolePride to the other schools who competed. The 20+ teams that competed were no easy challenge either.

Team “Garnet” and “Gold” went through their 4 rounds of competition and faced teams from schools including: Auburn, University of Central Florida A, and our burning rival University of Florida A (who also got a bid).

Our fellow Florida State team member, Carlos Zapata, was awarded an attorney award, achieving a rank of 20.

FSU Mock Trial President Monique Eloi (left) and award winner Carlos Zapata (right)

When The Tab talked to Monique we asked, “With both teams getting out of Regionals how are you feeling and what do you think is to come for FSU Mock?”

She responded saying, “Getting two teams out of Regionals shows we are a deep program with our talent spread across multiple teams. Our next goal is to get those two teams to Nationals!”

Carlos Zapata is a “seasoned” mocker on the Garnet team and has won a variety of awards. He won an attorney award at the Orlando regional.

Carlos told The Tab, “After putting in the necessary hours to make our victories a reality, I have to say it feels very rewarding.

Team Gold Captains Joseph Wester (left) and Kristen Shaw (right)

Kristen Shaw a captain on the Gold team, the second FSU team to get out with Team Garnet, said she is “looking forward to getting a bid for nationals” and is “confident in the talent of each team.”

“I’m feeling great about our chances at ORCS! Both teams have amazing talent this yeear, and have the ability to make it to nationals.”

As am a member of Team Gold, the friendships I have built with my team members are ones I hope to keep for the remainder of my college career and beyond. The cohesiveness of our team is ridiculously unique. We have spent countless hours at the FSU School of Law classrooms going over material and running directs/crosses and statements.

Both teams, Garnet and Gold, represent the great Seminole pride. With the great leadership of our student ran and student coached program versus teams with 3-4 coaches, we aim for excellence and hold our own.

Team White, the third team have their Regional competition in the coming days and we have no doubt they will also receive a bid.

Go Noles! Go Mock Trial!

Florida State University