Leaked email shows member of AEPi unhappy with chairman of ACCENT going to a ‘girl in Kappa’

Shelby Buchanan is ACCENT’s second ever female chairman

Tonight, Shelby Buchanan will be confirmed as ACCENT’s second ever female chairman, meaning that for the first time in 15 years, the Chairman of Student Government’s ACCENT Speakers Bureau will not be a member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.

An email was leaked to Not My System which shows a member of AEPi, and an applicant for the position, displeased with the new chairman. In the email he blamed not receiving chairman as a result of a disagreement with the student body president and “bad publicity.”

The email says Shelby Buchanan was not the best candidate for the position and that “Next year, we have the opportunity to get ACCENT back.”

He also says that, “In the spirit of Passover, the Israelites spent 40 years in the desert but found Israel eventually; we can spend one year out and be back in ACCENT after next year.”

In the last 29 years, chairman has been given to men involved in Greek life, with 24 chairs given to members of AEPi.

Shelby Buchanan studies Tourism, Event and Recreation Management at UF and is a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. She is also this year’s Vice Chair of Productions for ACCENT.

The Tab UF is reaching out to AEPi and Buchanan for a comment.

Featured image from ACCENT’s Facebook page.

University of Florida: UF