Florida CHAARG starts this spring

Spring Break Bod?

There’s a new organization in town, and it’s starting at UF this spring

CHAARG is a women’s health and fitness organization that started at Ohio State and now exists at forty-five Universities in the US. It’s goal is to “liberate women from the elliptical” and is founded on the idea that women in college feel confined to specific workouts.

Florida CHAARG ambassador Dea Opari applied to bring CHAARG to UF in the Fall, and went through several rounds of interviews to prove that UF was a prime location for a club like this. Dea told The Tab she “can’t wait to really make a statement about healthy living on campus.” CHAARG aims to help girls branch out and find new fitness regimes through weekly Studio Spotlights. These include fitness classes that highlight out-of-the-box workouts at gyms and studios in Gainesville, such as kick boxing, Pure Barre, Zumba, and rock climbing. They can also include guest speakers, like nutritionists, and all fitness levels are welcome.

CHAARG also aims to provide a community aspect, so that someone is always there to be a fit buddy. Weekly small groups held by exec members foster connections between CHAARG members and the exec team so that there is always someone to reach out to.

Sophomore Sofi Restrepo was one of Florida CHAARG’s first members this Spring. “I hope to really challenge my body this semester and bring more variety to my workouts through CHAARG.” Sofi said. “I really liked how Pure Barre last week targeted all of your important muscle groups with unique exercises, and it left me sore for the next few days.”

CHAARG uses a rolling signup system, so anyone can sign up at any point during the semester.

University of Florida: UF