A comprehensive guide to your Florida ballot

Explaining those tricky ballot measures and what they mean for Florida’s future

For many Florida students, this marks the first presidential election they are eligible to vote in.

Despite the actual presidential race, there are many other measures on the ballot that are integral for voters on a state-by-state basis. To avoid confusion at the polls and to ensure clarity when voting, here’s a comprehensive guide to your Florida ballot.

The first half of the ballot will include your choice for President and Vice President, United States Senator, Representative in Congress, State Senator, State Representative and a few others. Some of these options will show up differently depending on what District you vote in, especially if you’re voting absentee. Ballotpedia offers a quick and easy way to look up your sample ballot, which can be found here.

Next come the Constitutional Amendments, which have been uploaded online by the Florida Department of State. Many of these ballot measures are given in complicated legal terms that fly over many voters’ heads. Here’s a few simple explanations for each one.

Constitutional Amendment 1: Consumer Rights Regarding Solar Energy Amendment

The title of this amendment is inherently deceiving. The amendment itself states that it “establishes a right under Florida’s constitution for consumers to own and lease solar equipment installed on their property to generate electricity.” Although a bit lengthy, this first sentence sounds like the amendment will make solar power easier for Floridians to get. However, many reputable sources have determined that this is not the case.

The next part of the amendment states that “State and local governments… shall ensure that consumers who do not choose to install solar are not required to subsidize the costs of backup power and electric grid access to those who do.”

This is where things get fishy. According to many groups who oppose this amendment and, ironically, pro-solar organizations, this wording will severely restrict those looking to get solar energy by making it incredibly expensive.

As reported by the Tampa Bay Times, Sal Nuzzo, the policy director of the James Madison Institute, was caught on tape gloating about how the utility industry was pulling a fast one on voters with Amendment 1. He also said that by using fancy political jargon people will vote yes on anything solar, according to the article.

In fact, the Florida Supreme Court is considering removing the amendment from the ballot altogether, as reported by Fox 13 Tampa. The Supreme Court agreed to review the ballot just this week. Although it’s up in the air whether or not they will remove it, the fact that they’re willing to reconsider speaks volumes about this measure and its wording.

Constitutional Amendment 2: Use of Marijuana for Debilitating Medical Conditions

This amendment is, fortunately, about as straightforward as it sounds. The amendment states that it “allows medical use of marijuana for individuals with debilitating medical conditions.” What it says is what Floridians will get: Amendment 2 will make medical marijuana more easily accessible for those with certain medical conditions.

There are a handful of groups opposed to this measure, mostly because they’re worried the amendment is just a ruse to legalize marijuana. One video says that the amendment will allow edibles that are “marketed to kids, sold next to schools, in nearly 2,000 pot shops around Florida.”

Even so, Amendment 2 explicitly states that The Department of Health will have the power to regulate medical marijuana distribution and will give identification cards to patients and their caregivers. This measure also points out that it doesn’t let non-medical users off the hook in any way. When it comes to this amendment, what you see is mostly what you’ll get.

Constitutional Amendment 3: Tax Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled First Responders

Much less controversial than the other two, this amendment would allow certain tax exemptions for first responders who have been “totally and permanently” disabled in the line of duty. This would assist first responders who are unable to make a living because of their injuries.

There are no established groups that are opposed to this amendment.

Constitutional Amendment 5: Homestead Tax Exemption for Certain Senior, Low-Income, Long-Term Residents; Determination of Just Value

Another non-threatening measure, Amendment 5 would revise a pre-existing homestead tax exemption. Certain residents would be able to apply for tax exemptions should their property be valued at less than $250,000. Some of the fine print of the measure explains this in further detail; Residents must be 65 or older, have an income of $20,000 or less, and have lived on their property for no less than 25 years.

Although this measure doesn’t affect students as much, it’s a good way for senior citizens to get some monetary relief, especially if they are unable to work as much as they used to. Like Amendment 3, there are no established groups that are opposed to this amendment.

Questions

Next up will come some questions that depend on where you’ll vote. For Alachua County, these concern renewing taxes for schools and the environment. Like some of the options mentioned earlier, these will differ based on where you’re voting.

At this point, Florida is a tossup, meaning that the winner of the Presidential election could be decided on a small amount of votes. This makes it all the more important that UF students get out and vote. Polling places will be open from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. on election day, so get out there and do your part.

University of Florida: UF