How to have an enjoyable summer break

You don’t need much

The stress of finals, the exhaustion from an unpredictable sleeping schedule, and the absolutely terrible college food has taken a toll on all of us. We are all ready for a carefree summer filled with nothing but aimless activities. Well, at least for the first couple weeks.

Some people hit the jackpot with studying abroad, getting incredible internships, and traveling just about everywhere, while others are stuck at home left to their own devices. You are allowed a full day to wallow in self pity if you are in the latter situation, but that is the maximum amount of time you can sigh into your pillow about your average break. There’s plenty of fun and relaxing things to do no matter where you are and no matter how boring the setting is.

Breathe

Inhale. Finals are over. Cramming for quizzes and exams is over. Eating gross dining hall food is over. Exhale. Even if you’re taking a couple classes over the summer, the insanity of fall and spring semester is now put behind you. Take advantage of your free time and just breathe.

Eat EVERYTHING

This will be me x10

There is not much to say for this other than food, especially made by the loving hands of your skilled parents who know how to make food without burning everything, is the main priority for the summer. Now that you have time to actually sit down and have a full meal/s, enjoy the spices and ingredients you have always been too scared to experiment with on your own. Maybe even learn a few tips on how to create sufficient meals to take back for fall semester so you never have to see the dining hall again. Moral of the story is: food is love and summer offers the best love you can get.

Sleeping beauty understood the good life

Now that you don’t have random all-nighters once you realize you have a ten page paper due, you can pull all-nighters to binge watch a show/s and sleep throughout the next day without having to worry about your 8am class. Laugh at anyone who says sleep is for the weak. It’s time to catch up on all the z’s you’ve been missing. Your bed has missed you and I’m sure the feeling is mutual.

Do ANYTHING that’s not school related

There are so many things you can do without emptying your wallet while still keeping yourself interested. Walk your dog or cat or parrot (I don’t judge) to the park. Sit in a bookstore for a couple hours and read the first 30 pages of as many books as possible until you find the perfect book to waste your money on. Make a list of movies that you have always wanted to watch and make it your goal to watch all of them before fall semester. Find a job over break to finance your reunion dinners and parties with your high school friends. Take a random road trip with the leftover money you have for gas. Sleep when you’re too lazy to do anything else.

No matter what kind of summer you have, there is always something to do. Get out there and rejuvenate yourselves before fall semester strikes again.

University of Florida: UF