I went to a Donald Trump Read-a-Thon and it was awful

These people are PASSIONATE

A few months ago, I was looking through Craigslist events to find something to cover for my reporting class. What I came across was a Donald Trump read-a-thon at the Books-a-Million on Newberry Road.

This was back in January, when Trump was as popular in the press, but not as successful as he is now.

The event was set for a Saturday evening (turn up) in the store’s cafe. I got there several minutes early, got a coffee and waited. After about 10 or 15 minutes, a woman with a Donald Trump shirt showed up with her husband. A few minutes later, another couple (also in Trump shirts) arrived. These would be the only four people to come.

After a few minutes, I went over to the two women (their husbands were looking at Donald Trump’s books) and asked if I could interview them for a reporting class. They agreed (though no recording was allowed, and one couple wouldn’t give me their real names).

I can only describe what happened next as nearly two hours of them trying to convince me as to why Trump would be the perfect president.

“Bob,” as the most vocal member of the group requested to go by, can only be what I (politely) describe as passionate. He seemed convinced that every part of Trump’s plan would fulfill the promise of “making America great again.”

He said the media twists Trump’s words and policies. Even Fox News, he said, has hidden interest on making Trump look bad.

His wife, who went by Ann, had copies Trump’s various books. She showed me the table contents, saying he clearly has his plans laid out. She said he even predicted the recession would happen.

When talking about Trump, the whole group seemed enamored with him. Ann showed me videos of Trump’s daughter and grandchildren, saying they make these videos to show that they’re just people.

However, one of the more disturbing comments Bob made when talking about him (I think as he was mentioning his immense wealth?) was that Trump is “above” us. Basically, in another league.

These people seem to think that Trump is some super-human, whose money means he can’t be swayed by anyone else (yes, they said that, too), and won’t be corrupt by power (which he clearly shows he’s already been).

Eventually, I was able to leave this awful interview session, though not soon enough and interviewed some of the attendees.

Sherrie McKnight made it clear she is fed up with America right now. “I don’t think he’s going to fix everything. But I’m willing to give him the opportunity.”

As president, McKnight would like Trump to address several issues to fulfill his campaign slogan of making America great again. This would include securing America’s borders, increasing jobs, allowing states to make more decisions versus the federal government and obeying the constitution and its amendments, specifically the first and second.

“I actually see someone who can bring the country back,” McKnight said.

Ann, 50 was the organizer of the read-a-thon and posted this event, the first of many, on Craigslist. She decided to host it at this particular bookstore because they sell some of Trump’s recently published books. She believes the books illustrate why Trump is the best candidate.

“He’s a prolific author,” Ann said. “He has spelled out his plans.”

Ann wasn’t alone in this belief.

“Trump voters are passionate,” said Bob, 50, and Ann’s husband. “We believe in what he represents.”

Bob believes that since Trump is already excessively wealthy, he wouldn’t be paid off by lobbyists like other politicians potentially could.

“He’s not afraid to back down,” Bob said.

Trump has been criticized by many people as being rude and insensitive. His supporters, however, see him as being upfront.

“You get what you expect,” McKnight said, clad in a shirt that read: “Trump will never quit- until he makes America great again.”

University of Florida: UF