Must-see Gainesville concerts in April

End your spring semester the right way

With the school year rapidly coming to a close, the local music scene in Gainesville is bursting with unique and captivating end-of-the-year acts. Whether you enjoy reggae, funk, electronic or anything in between, there’s live music, mini-festivals and more for almost every taste.

Midtown will always be there, but some of these awesome acts probably won’t be back for a long time.

Swamp Records Showcase

Friday, April 15th at The Jam

Magic City Hippies and Sales are headlining this awesome collection of music. As the self-proclaimed “indie-funk” band of Miami, Magic City Hippies is guaranteed to put on a memorable show through their uplifting, simplistic sound that is impossible to not enjoy. Sales, a pop duo from Orlando, has made its mark on the industry all on its own, self-releasing its music through Bandcamp, a platform that allows independent artists to gain recognition. These bands, accompanied by many more, are guaranteed to put on a beautiful show that is completely FREE to the Gainesville public.

Check it out here.

(Photo Credit: Swamp Records)

Over Easy Fest

Saturday, April 16th at The JAM

For those festival lovers, The JAM is putting on a mini-festival experience  from dusk until dawn. This unique experience will feature diverse live music and even a silent disco that will take place all night long. Kentucky’s own Amtrac is headlining and is sure to bring his experimental, constantly evolving sound to Gainesville. Local favorite Bells and Robes plus many more will also be performing in what is to be the best Over Easy Fest to date.

Find more info here.

Black Tiger Sex Machine

Saturday, April 16th at Simon’s

Black Tiger Sex Machine will no doubt be taking Gainesville to their church. For those looking for something a bit heavier, BTSM is sure to play a beautifully haunting combination of drum, bass and dubstep from their new EP: Welcome To Our Church. Plus, those helmets are too cool to miss.

Buy tickets here.

(Photo Credit: Black Tiger Sex Machine)

We The Kings

Tuesday, April 19th at The Phillips Center

This concert, presented by Student Government, should explain itself. We The Kings songs were the anthem to my angsty, middle school days. I distinctly remember rocking out to “Check Yes Juliet” on a semi-regular basis in my room, wishing I could be this Juliet that We The Kings were wailing about so beautifully. This concert will also be free for students, so don’t miss your chance to come relive your childhood days and hear some new music, too.

Details here.

The Heavy Pets

Thursday, April 21st at The JAM

Celebrate the beauty that is reading days with the Heavy Pets. These South Floridians are guaranteed to close out your spring semester with a bang, bringing rock ‘n’ roll with a touch of jazz, funk and reggae to The JAM right before exam week. Whether you’re taking a break from studying or simply celebrating another great semester, this concert will be one to mark on your calendar.

Find tickets here.

So there you have it, folks. Five fun and diverse concerts to get you out of Midtown for a night and into the awesome atmosphere of the local music scene.

University of Florida: UF