I’m an English major and I’m not a slacker

English majors aren’t just for people who don’t know what they’re doing

So far, I’ve heard many assumptions from strangers once they hear what my major is: “Oh, you’re probably just in English until you find out what you really want to do, right?” or “So you just want to be a teacher, right?” or even “Why are you studying something you already know?”

I try my best to hold in my frustration, but some of the backhanded comments tend to get under my skin. Just because I didn’t choose to be an engineer or choose the pre-med track doesn’t mean I don’t have my plan set for the future or that I’m slacking in school.

An English major is not just an easy way to get higher education and end up as a teacher

If I wanted to become a teacher, I would specifically choose a major in education. The many tracks in the English major do not all cater to just a job as a teacher or professor. This generalization has never failed to come up when speaking about my major. Yes, students need to learn how to write and read, but that is not the only function of the study of English. The numerous models of study UF has to offer reveal the countless opportunities that the English major has for its students. From creative writing to film and media studies, the major boasts diverse areas of study from people with all interests. If you still think the English major is just for rising high school English teachers, I question your judgement.

She has seen massive success from studying English. Yes, it’s possible.

Madeline Gangnes, candidate for a PhD in English, has benefitted from her English major and is still succeeding immensely due to her field of study. She states, “I became an English major because when I was in college I knew that I enjoyed reading and writing and was good at it. The degree got me several excellent jobs in law firms and offices, including one that could have turned into a high-paying career. At the same time, the degree also prepared me to potentially work in publishing, but eventually led me to return to academia and pursue a master’s in Comics Studies and subsequently get into the PhD in English program that I’m currently pursuing (in Comics and Visual Rhetoric and Victorian Studies) at UF.”

I’m not waiting for the right major or career goal to hit me

I can understand where some people are coming from with this assumption. This major is definitely a viable study to choose when you’re unsure of what you want to do because of the lack of tracking courses it has. It’s a simple major to be in for the first couple semesters — it’s true. Now that we’re all on the same page, I think it’s fair to say that not all English majors fall under this category, especially after the first semesters are over. It’s required to have ten 3000/4000 level or above English courses and if you just want to slack off, then the English major is no longer the area of study for you.

He is using his English minor to benefit his goals in artificial intelligence progress

Marcus Armband, UF undergraduate minoring in English, states, “With my majors in Philosophy and Computer Science, it’s really easy to see where English would help with philosophy because if physics is applied mathematics, then philosophy is applied English. The interaction between philosophy and computer science is where I would be trying to commit research and advocate for artificial intelligence (AI) progress and to do that you need to have a good relationship with the public. There is a lack of communication with scientists and the public, so if I could use eloquence through English and philosophy to explain and advocate publicly for AI then it could reach the general population who are ultimately the people who will vote for funding and allow such things to progress.”

My classes aren’t a joke

The Climate Fiction course never ceases to bring up new ideas and discussions

English courses are not just a bunch of high school classes that teach remedial grammar and reading comprehension. The courses entail in-depth analysis of literature and poetry, as well as fiction and non-fiction writing — this is not a cake walk for just anyone who is trying to find an easy A class to sleep in. These courses are no joke and are most definitely not for people who are trying to slide by in the English major taking classes that mean nothing to them. It actually takes a great deal of work and effort.

Although this school is widely known for its science majors, each diverse major is there for a reason and should be looked at equally.

University of Florida: UF