Meet Jenna Curtis, president of Wahines of the Waves

She’s raising awareness for breast cancer and empowering female wakeboarders

As the striking orange clay of the sand reflected in the morning light on the surface of the rippling lake water, Jenna Curtis peered through her tent door and through the expanse of burgeoning, lusciously green trees and immediately knew this was a moment of her college life she would never forget.

This evocative moment occurred at UF’s Wakeboarding Club’s annual college camping trip to Lake Lanier in Atlanta. For Jenna, this particular moment resonates within her memory as it signifies a sense of belonging, knowing she had come a long way from standing alone as a nervous freshman with only two things in her hand, a Wakeboarding Club flyer and a Wahines of the Waves flyer.

Since then, Jenna now holds the position of president for the University of Florida’s all girl wakeboard, skim, surf and skate club, Wahines of the Waves. Wakeboarding has not only brought a great sense of meaning to Curtis’s own life, but she has transformed into a great role model for the sport, for girls starting college, and for young girls universally. This year she is planning the second annual Barrels for Boobs surf contest, of which she created, to be held in Florida on April 9th.

Relaxed, confident and very much at ease with her surroundings, Jenna sits down letting her long, tightly curled hair swing over her shoulder. In between reminiscing about one of the best memories the sport of wakeboarding has given to her, Jenna begins to remember how she first became interested in the unique sport.

Growing up in St. Petersburg, Florida Jenna was always surrounded by water and after unsuccessfully begging her parents for a highly coveted boat, she stumbled across some old wakeboards for sale in her last year of high school. Afterward, the obsession began. Jenna demonstrates her abilities as a role model and leader through her determination to learn and improve at the sport, beginning with teaching herself how to stand up.

“At first it was trial and error,” Jenna recalls. “Then a bunch of head slams later, I began to improve.”

Not only was the physical side of wakeboarding a challenge at first, without a boat, it was difficult for Jenna to get out on the water. Instead of letting this stop her, she posted on the internet forum, Craigslist. Through this, she managed to meet a University of Florida Alumni who loves wakeboarding and had no one to go with.

“I’m not sure I even told my parents,” Jenna said. “I found a boat and I was off.” This independence, initiative and enthusiasm are attributes of Jenna’s personality that make her a great role model for young girls and anyone who wants to follow a passion for a sport.

As of last year, Jenna and her friend Marley Boerama created the now annual surfing contest, which they named Barrels for Boobs, to raise money for the Florida Breast Cancer Foundation. This year’s event is to be held on April 9th at Marineland beach and they hope to raise at least $2,500 for the foundation.

Jenna blushes slightly as she humbly admits they had a great turnout, a great response from over 20 sponsors and just over $1,300 raised for the foundation last year. Again, this is highly indicative of Jenna’s own initiative and ability to be a role model. “We had never planned an event, ever, except for perhaps parties at our house.” Jenna told The Tab.

The success of Barrels for Boobs confirmed to Curtis that she could potentially become president of Wahines of the Waves, “It wasn’t until after the event that I realized I had the ability to be a leader.” As president, Jenna has a lot of responsibilities that involve running various events across the year, but her main concern lies with getting more girls out on the water.

“When I was a freshman I attended my first Wahines of the Waves meeting and only four people showed up,” close friend of Jenna’s, Marley Boerema says. “As president, Jenna has continued to grow the club, managing to nearly triple our membership this year.”

Wakeboarding is growing in popularity across the globe, in 2014 it was recorded by the Sports & Fitness Industry Association there were 3 million known participants in the sport just in the U.S, however, roughly 75% of this number attributes to males. Jenna describes her wish for a growing interest in the sport for women and regularly follows the progress of professional women wakeboarders, such as Dallas Friday, “When there is a girl that’s a complete badass and just as good as the guys, that’s really fun to watch.”

Wahines of the Waves is a separate and independent all women club, compared to the male dominated UF Surf and Wakeboarding Clubs. Curtis would like to see the continuation of these as being separately run. “It’s not meant to segregate but it is meant to empower girls,” Jenna says.

Her advice to adventure seekers who want to experience the same sense of belonging she felt when she woke up on the banks of Lake Lanier, is mainly to connect with a group of people through any means possible. People who are willing to help you learn and improve at the sport.

More specifically, she hopes both her achievements in the sport and what she has achieved as president, will act as inspiration for young girls to follow their passions, not let male dominated areas deter their enthusiasm and to continue a drive for success and equality. “Don’t be put off by the learning curve, as it is a tough one,” Jenna advises. “You’re going to smack your head a few times, really hard, but soon the addiction will become unbeatable.”

If you’re interested in supporting the efforts of Jenna and Marley, having a fun day out and raising funds for the Florida Breast Cancer Foundation, please join them at Barrels for Boobs on Saturday 9th April at Marineland Beach Park, A1A, Marineland, Florida 32137, where the event will be happening from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

University of Florida: UF