How to know if you truly hate your class

Is it a bad day or is this the worst class to ever?

We have all had or know someone who has had one of those classes. The class we don’t want to take but, our major requires us to, or perhaps the class we are forced, kicking and screaming, to take just because we are freshman (looking at you good life). Maybe it even sounded interesting when you signed up for it, but midway through the semester you realized it is a course designed with the intent to ruin your life.

No matter what the class is, there is only a select few that truly inspire hatred amongst their attendees. But how can you tell if you or someone you know is in a class that is truly abhorrent and not just having a bad day?

You’ve contemplated forging a doctors note

Dread. You wake up on mornings when you have this class and the only thing you want is for a plague to descend upon campus so you don’t have to go. Of course you’d settle for the stomach flu, or perhaps pneumonia, anything to keep you from the pit in which all joy is sucked out of your very soul.

You begin to wonder if perhaps you could forge a doctors note, who cares if it’s a felony, right?

Asking for a friend

Everyone knows your professors name because you complain so much

Your friends, parents, siblings, distant relatives, and everyone in your residence hall are all aware you loathe the class with every fiber of your being. You often live text or tweet your classes to make sure the world is aware of your dissatisfaction with the course.

Often your friends will know your professor by first name and all of their irritating quirks without ever having taken the class, because of the sheer devotion you put to chronicling the injustice that is your having to attend the class.

If your friends still talk to you at the end of the semester it will be a miracle

Canvas notifications become your worst enemy

You dread the email alert informing you the professor from that particular course has sent out yet another, probably the thousandth, email amending the assignment given in the last class.

The pinging sound that signals a new email becomes your arch nemesis. Well, your second arch nemesis after the class of course. Everyone within a five-mile radius can hear your groans of discontent when your professor changes the assignment for the fifth time via email the day before it’s due.

It’s like they never end

You would rather gouge your eyes out than attend the class

The entire time you’re in the lecture you constantly think about how much you passionately loathe it. Every word your instructor speaks just fuels the fire. You may not know exactly why you hate the class so much, but the required fifty-minute period or, heaven help you, a block period, is the most painful experience of your life.

You spend the class counting the seconds down to your liberation, filling your notes with little side comments about how little you actually want to be there.

They may not help you study, but they sure do help you survive the class

You live for days off from class

You exist solely for waking up to a class cancelation email. Receiving an email of this nature is similar to waking up on Christmas morning, if not entirely better. On your days off you put off class assignments until the absolute last second, and then perform a series of mental and physical feats to complete it as soon as possible so you can return to your previous state of not hating life.

The last day of class is the greatest moment of your college career

When you walk out of the classroom at the end of the semester you will never have to cross that forsaken threshold again. You are free, in a sense you haven’t experienced for almost four months.

No more emails, no more contemplating felonies, no more driving your friends insane with your endless tirades about the injustices you face at the hand of the course. You are done with the class, your schedule for next semester is set and you’ve made sure to avoid any classes similar to your previous one.

When friends approach and ask you if they should take said course you scoff at the idea and do your civic duty to warn them of the horrors that await if they dare not heed your warning. At the end of the day it’s their choice, your grades are in, you’re free. From here on out it’s smooth sailing.

At the end of the day, at least you get to go to the best school ever #AmIRight?

Of course you’ll run into some classes you aren’t particularly fond of, but a class that you truly despise, with your very being, is one that only comes around, in most cases, once in a collegiate career.

University of Florida: UF