Why you should room with your best friend

Don’t listen to the haters

Many seem to have the notion that it is a huge mistake to room with your best friend in college. “You’ll end up hating each other!” they say, “Frenemies is what you will become!”

I decided to test this hypothesis and room with my best friend this year despite the dramatic warnings I received. It turned out to be the best decision of my life and we are closer than ever. Your best friend is the one who has your back in the club, the one who consoles you when you cry, and is most likely the one who would be behind bars with you. Why shouldn’t she also be your roommate?

I’ve come to the conclusion if you really are best friends, then rooming together will go smoothly. Don’t listen to they.

You both will partake in the extracurricular of eating together 

My roommate and I are big foodies. Day and night we eat non-stop. Every week we take a trip to the grocery store together and just split the bill. On top of that, we’ve invested in a George Foreman grill and we’ve figured out how to cook just about anything on it, all in the comfort of our dorm. Luckily, our dorm is in the hub of action on campus so when we feel creative we put up a menu and sell food out of our dorm room window to passerby’s.

If you grew up in the same town, that’s a bonus 

We have convenient carpools back and forth from home, not to mention we have the same friends. When they come to visit we just push our beds together and have a huge sleepover.

Make sure you have the same taste in music for dance parties

We jam to only the hottest tunes in the rap industry and always stay updated on the latest songs on SoundCloud. Whenever it’s been a late night studying we may just have a late night rap sesh in our room with our portable speaker. Your bestie/roomie should have the same taste in music so you can dance or rap out the negative school energy that grows at school.

We even decided to dress up as Drake and Tunechi on Halloween

Your closets will morph into one giant wardrobe

Having your best friend as your roommate means you have twice the options when getting dressed. Whether it’s getting ready for class or going out, you will most definitely have an outfit for it. After a while you may forget your favorite going out crop top is actually your roommates, but she’ll still love you anyways because she’s your best friend.

You’ll end up joining the same teams and clubs together

In case you didn’t think you could get enough of each other – you’ll try out different clubs and activities together. Your best friend will always go with you to new club meetings just so you have someone to talk to if it’s awkward. My best friend and I grew up competing at the same dance studio and we continued to dance at UF together. Sometimes the practices end up in the cold rehearsing until after midnight.  It’s always nice to have someone to travel to and from practices with, experiencing it all with you.

If you’re messy she’ll love you anyways

No matter how many times she asks you to clean up and throw the trash away, she will love you. A normal roommate may be passive aggressive with you, but your best friend will tell you straight up. If she’s just as messy as you, then you’re golden. My best friend and I wait until the trash is basically overflowing and then decide to take it out. It may be unsanitary, but at least we’re on the same page.

All those out there who warn you about your friendship suffering when you room with your best friend probably never tried it themselves. If you’re wondering if you should room with your best friend next year DO IT

University of Florida: UF