Discounts for students on a budget

Tips on how to save money without starving yourself and your needs

Do you tear up every time you see your withering bank account? Do you have to shield your eyes when you pass by restaurants to keep away the temptation to eat delicious but expensive food? Do you try to suffer through an ascetic lifestyle minus the spiritual part to save money?

Eating and fulfilling your caffeine needs as well as your once seemingly cheap forms of entertainment on a budget is tough, especially with the nonstop, on-the-go schedule that college forces you to have. Starving and suffering does not have to be the answer, but neither is wasting all your money on overpriced and mediocre tasting food along with pricey apps that fulfill your wants and needs.

What is a hungry and poor college student to do? After you have eaten your last box of ramen and ended the one-week free trials, it’s time to get on the level of the old lady coupon-hoarder. Thanks to the food and app gods, there are a couple discounts that are here all year long for you to award your growling stomach and pastimes with.

Dunkin Donuts

From 3-6pm, I’m in love

Between 3-6pm everyday, you can quench your caffeine thirst with the lovely happy hour that DD has to offer. You can order a coffee of any size with any flavor, hot or iced, for just $1. All you need is one measly dollar bill that you found forgotten in one of your jeans’ pockets.

New York Times

Yeah, I read

If you feel like you’re missing out on worldwide news and want to feel classy reading a top-notch news source, you are in luck. The New York Times online has granted all UF faculty and students a free subscription for an entire year. Just go onto your ufl account, click on the main menu, quick links, then New York Times — you’re welcome.

Amazon Prime 

May or may not be my third package this week

Amazon offers an awesome deal for all college students to receive a 6-month free trial with Amazon Prime, including free two-day shipping and an unhealthy amount of the latest-released movies and TV shows. Even after 6 months, Amazon offers Prime for just 50% off the regular price because they understand the pennilessness of the average sleep-deprived college student. Could the deal get any better? Somehow, yes! They even give you and a friend $5 to add to your account when you refer said friend to the site. Thank you, Amazon, please never change.

Banana Republic

If you can fit into the clothing that Banana Republic sells, then here is a deal for you. Customers can get 15% off all full-priced purchases in store with a valid student or faculty ID. We all like to style on a budget.

Krishna Lunch

Delicious food in a beautiful place

Monday through Friday, lunch is served by the Krishna House from 11:00am-3pm at the Plaza of the Americas. You get a delicious vegetarian or vegan meal for only $5 each day of the week from friendly faces who want to see your stomachs full of healthy food — rather than the greasy crap the pricey fast-food restaurants like to call a “meal.”

Spotify 

She’s jammin’ to Spotify

I think we are all in agreement that paying $1.29 for a song that is barely longer than that number is ludicrous. I can use that money for half of a coffee from Starbucks, thank you very much. Spotify, on the other hand, knows our struggles and offers a 50% off discount for Premium for all students. No more commercials, just nonstop jams that you can even play offline —minus T-Swift because she obviously doesn’t understand that college students don’t breathe money.

Activity Cards

Isn’t she beautiful? Oh and then there’s me

If you live in a dorm and make a small payment of just $15 to buy an activity card, the countless activities that offer free food by the residence hall and your awesome RA’s will astound you. Even if you don’t want to be social during such events, you can run down, grab some food and get the hell out of there. Also, if you don’t want to buy an activity card, it’s just $2 to get into each event and get your eating on. While everyone bonds over the activity of the night, you can be scarfing down the free food laid out just for you.

Greyhound Bus Ticket Student Discounts

If you are a frequent traveller by bus, you will love this. If you pay just $20 a year for a Greyhound Student Advantage Card, you get 20% off all standard fares. Apparently, having the card also allows you to get 40% off at places such as target.com, bookrenter.com, Sports Illustrated, and more. Can I get a hell yeah?

Hooked, RetailMeNot, and Gift Certificates 

I am *hooked* on this app

These free apps for your phone update you on all daily discounts at restaurants, retail stores, bars, grocery stores and pretty much any place you can think of near you. These life savers provide you with the capability of paying the least amount possible for food, drinks, etc. in order keep your checking account out of the overdrawn status. All you need is a phone and your hungry and shop-crazy self.

Hopefully, these discounts will help you get through the rest of the semester without having to eat the leftover crumbs you find on your roommate’s unwashed plates. Eat and shop away, my friends.

University of Florida: UF