Sunny Saint Pete, I’ve missed you so

Move aside Whoopi, Raven, Candace, Paula and Michelle. Saint Pete is the real host of the view

Lately, Gainesville has made me feel a lot like Bella from Twilight. It’s dreary, it’s cold, and it’s not my sunny hometown.

I grew up in the beautiful city of Saint Petersburg, Florida. I recently went home and saw the city in whole new light. Gainesville is a place I love and I would never choose another place to grow during my college years. However, not everyone can stay they have grown up in Saint Pete and claim their hometown is undeniably the loveliest.

Art in the Burg is stunning

Art by Jeffrey Sinich

Saint Pete is bustling with artistic talent. Go anywhere Downtown and you can find murals with significance that help define the city.

Recently Saint Pete’s most notable landmark, the pier, was demolished. The pier was undeniably outdated but gave the city such character. Many of the locals have a special place in their hearts for that upside down structure even though it looked like it was randomly painted by a bunch of first graders learning their primary colors.

The beautiful eyesore will always have a place in family’s heart because it is where my father proposed to my mother.

The design for the new pier looks amazing but the landscape of Saint Pete is forever changed. Michael Vasquez painted a gorgeous mural depicting the piece of physical history of Saint Petersburg.

Art by Michael Vasquez

Party Pete(rsburg)

Art is important to the culture of Saint Pete but so is the night life. Saint Pete has been a hub of breweries. Nearly every street you turn down will have some kind specialty grapefruit hipster concoction. Many locals have sworn off their Bud Light Lime’s.

Mark it in your calendar! Saint Pete has market fun for all

People love their beers in the Burg but the breweries host more than just drunken good times (which we’re used to in Gainesville). Several places will have fun games like Jenga and four corners. They also will host things that very much support and encompass the community.

Recently the Saint Pete Indie Market was hosted at Green Bench Brewing Co. The event included local art and local clothes and local food… so. much.food. The hipster community in Saint Pete truly is alive and well and continuing to thrive.

Saint Pete has rhythm 

In addition to the breweries, the music scene in the Burg is brimming with talent. Go to any bar or restaurant Downtown on a weekend night and you will more than likely find a local artist that you fall in love with how they recreated “Happy” by Pharell. My own sister found the person who sang at her wedding in Saint Pete at The Avenue.

Let’s Play!

We also have baseball. Tropicana Field has great childhood memories for me and many others. I remember being more excited about downing a thing of cotton candy than actually watching the game. As I grew up, I enjoyed watching the game more. Because baseball butt is real, ladies. Go Rays!

The View

Move aside Whoopi, Raven, Candace, Paula and Michelle. Saint Pete is the real host of ‘The View’.  I would explain the reflection of the clear blue sky on the gorgeous water while palm trees rustled with a refreshing breeze in vivid detail… But I think this picture sums it up pretty darn well.

The Saint Petersburg sign overlooking the bridge is something that I cannot wait to see each time I return home. However, despite the loveliness of Saint Pete, I really have fallen just as in love with Gainesville.

University of Florida: UF