Bet on Vets strives to make a difference for UF veterans

Student veterans are just like us

After a nearly month-long effort, the Bateman Team, a group of senior PR students at the University of Florida, can give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done on their “Bet on Vets” campaign.

Courtesy: BetonVeterans.com

Coming back to school after serving in the armed forces is not easy

For the last few weeks, the Bateman Team, along with what the group calls “supportive civilians,” put on events ranging from discussion panels to the Broward Battleship game to raise awareness about the presence of student veterans on campus, their stories, and most importantly, how they are just like each and every student.

“Just transitioning form the structure of the military to being a student again is a big struggle. It’s up to you to do well in school, socialize, and manage your time to do all of the other things students are expected to do,” said Erin Wronka, spokesperson for the Bet on Vets campaign at the University of Florida.

When veterans come up, they’re only a little older than ‘normal’ aged students

“The age of a student veteran ranges on average between 24-36, but they are just like us,” Wronka added. “That is the message we tried to spread throughout this campaign. Student veterans care, having cared enough to serve and pursue higher education. They do it all: from studying, to having families, jobs, and participating in extracurricular activities. The bottom line is, they are just like us.”

They’ve suffered injuries

Take Army veteran Travis Harvey for example. He returned from Iraq with 65% of the mass in his right thigh thanks to a mortar shell. His heroism earned him a Purple Heart. Currently a student at Santa Fe College, Travis overcame his PTSD by reigniting his teenage love for horses. With the success he found in his therapeutic relationship with horses,Travis has become a symbol of hope in his own community, where he is the Executive Director at HOPE, an organization that helps veterans and others develop similar relationships with horses.

Courtesy: BetonVeterans.com

Another student, Shawn Renaud, a Marine Vet, finds her passion in her major — architecture. A Detroit native, Shawn’s room is decorated with photos of Detroit architecture, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and finally, an architectural paper model of a sustainable therapeutic resort she hopes to build one day. She also hopes to design safe, comfortable, and low maintenance homes for low-income families.

Courtesy: Bet on Vets

Travis and Shawn are just two examples of the 750 student veterans at the University of Florida and Sante Fe College that are pursuing higher education while making a difference in their community. Their service, sacrifice, and courage should be applauded, and they should furthermore be lauded for their efforts upon their return home. Next time you encounter a student vet on campus, thank them for their service! As you remember what they have done for you, embrace them into your social circles and extracurricular activities. They are our fellow Gators!

The Bet on Vets Campaign is part of a larger national campaign PR competition being run in conjunction with the Collegiate Veterans Society and Student Veterans of America, a national non-profit organization that helps student veterans.

To contribute to the Bet on Vets Campaign or to get involved with student veterans on campus, please visit their website here or UF’s Collegiate Veterans Society website here.

University of Florida: UF