We asked Gators who they voted for in the Florida Primary

Hint: Not Trump

There is so much at stake in this election and Florida plays an extremely important role in determining each Party’s presidential nominee. Today UF students took to the polls to make their voices heard. The Tab chatted with students around campus to see which Presidential candidate earned their vote and why.

Stephanie, Senior, Psychology

“I voted for Marco Rubio because he has a lot of the same views I do, regarding like pro-life and pro-choice. I’m pro-life and he’s pro-life. He also has a lot of good morals and I think we need that in a President.”

David, Senior, Mechanical Engineering

“I voted for Bernie because I think he’s a good role model for the country and I like his message.”

Kayla, Senior, Public Relations

“I voted for Hillary Clinton, because I love Bernie’s ideas but I think theyre idealistic and I think Hillary has a more pragmatic approach. With Hillary’s experience I feel comfortable with her resources to make actions happen.”

Alex, Junior, Political Science

“I voted for Bernie Sanders. I like his policies and I kind of have in U.S. history back to Theodore Roosevelt, a lot of his ideas are not new. I think he would be a good president. I don’t quite agree with his foreign policy or his minimum wage ideas but something’s got to give.”

Lindsey, Freshman, Behavioral Cognitive Neuroscience (on the right) and Anna, Freshman, Nursing

Lindsey: “I voted for Marco because I’m kind of conservative, and I love him and he went to Florida. This is my first election so I don’t really know what to do but I voted for Marco.”

Anna: “I voted for Marco Rubio. Honestly I felt like this election, even though it’s my first one, I felt like it was one of the weirdest. It’s really about picking the lesser of two evils. I really felt like any choice other than Trump would be better, and then the reasons start coming from that. Marco went to UF, he’s from Florida, he’s like a familiar face almost. I feel like he’s the lesser of two evils. He’s less extreme than anybody else running.”

University of Florida: UF