The real pets of UF: Moo the hamster

Who doesn’t love an adorable hamster?!

If you are missing cats or dogs at home or looking for a way to improve dorm life, a hamster may solve your problem. We talked to Catie, a first year Music major and Moo’s proud mom, about the advantages of having a pet in a dorm room.

A pet can be a therapeutic presence, especially if you are a more introverted person or like to hang out in your room. Catie says interacting with Moo provides a fun break from homework and is a way to de-stress during exam weeks or through a last-minute essay. Although it’s important to have your RA and your roommate(s) sign off on your new friend and make sure you have enough money to purchase, maintain and monitor the health of your pet, Catie says Moo has improved her life at UF.

So let’s learn a little more about Moo.

Name: Moo – also known as Moozart and Moois Armstrong

Breed: short-haired, Syrian, black banded hamster

Age: three months

Sex: female

Hometown: Tampa

Likes: full cheeks, naps and long walks to the food bowl

Dislikes: clean cages and bad jazz

Favorite Activities: photoshoots, managing her Instagram and  burying food

Favorite Song: “Food, Glorious Food”

Celebrity Crush: Guy Fieri

Dream Vacation: Visiting Paris in her hamster ball

Favorite Quote: “[Hamsters] are a girl’s best friend”

Adopting an animal friend is a great way to make dorm life at UF more fun, but Catie says it is important to remember that a pet is not just a decoration, it is an investment and a responsibility.

If you have a pet you would like The Tab to feature, send an email to [email protected].

University of Florida: UF