Two students will represent UF at the Miss Florida pageant

We’re so good we need two

Last night the University of Florida held its 60th annual Miss UF Scholarship Pageant. Not one, but TWO girls were crowned from the event.

The title of Miss University of Florida went to Savannah Judkins, a junior advertising major, while the title of Miss Florida Gator went to Rachel Smith, a senior telecommunications major who has previously won the title of Miss Gainesville twice.

PC: Miss University of Florida Scholarship Pageant

Rachel Smith told The Tab: “This pageant experience has been very rewarding. I got to know all of the contestants really well and they are all beautiful inside and out. I am looking forward to representing this wonderful university and representing the Gator Nation at the Miss Florida Pageant this June. Until then, I hope to work a lot with Children’s Miracle Network, GiGi’s Playhouse, and the University of Florida to make a difference in the community

“The Miss Florida Scholarship Pageant will be held in Lakeland, FL June 28-July 2. With anything I do, I prepare with a lot of determination and I am extremely motivated to do well at Miss Florida. More than anything, I want to make sure I represent the University of Florida and the Gator Nation with pride and hopefully bring another Miss Florida title back to Gainesville.”

Seventeen girls competed for the crown, each promoting a platform for their campaign ranging from down syndrome awareness, eating disorders and child adoption and foster care.

Lizzy McCarthy, a contestant sponsored by her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon, chose the platform of Children’s Sports programs and is passionate about getting children active in their daily lives.

When asked about her experience in the Miss UF pageant, McCarthy said, “I had a great time getting to know the girls while we were preparing for the pageant. It was truly a great experience and performing on stage was a blast!”

While not every contestant walked away with a crown, not all walked away empty handed.

Miss Congeniality for the night, Lauren Bromfield, was excited to take home a title. “I honestly could not believe I won Miss Congeniality. It’s amazing knowing the other contestants felt like I had a great personality and that I’m capable of getting along with others,” Bromfield stated.

Miss Congeniality, Lauren Bromfield pictured with Miss Florida and former Miss University of Florida, Mary Katherine Fechtel

Sponsored by her sorority, Phi Mu, Lauren chose the platform of Caribbean reconstruction in the hope of bringing a better way of life to the many islands of the Caribbean.

Both McCarthy and Bromfield chose to play classical piano for the talent portion of the night.

However, one talent of the night was very unique. Brenna McKenna, sponsored by her sorority Delta Gamma, performed something she had never done before, Irish Dance.

Brenna with other contestants

When asked about her talent McKenna said, “My little sister was an Irish dancer and I always thought it would be cool to do it as a talent because it’s different. I’ve never performed an Irish dance before competing at Miss UF.”

Brenna was awarded “Best Swimsuit” for the night.

The Tab would like to congratulate all the women who participated in the pageant and would like to wish every woman out there a happy International Women’s Day.

University of Florida: UF