Gainesville participates in nationwide march for Bernie Sanders

Alachua County is feelin’ the Bern

Last weekend, in as many as 70 cities all across the United States, citizens of all ages marched through bustling urban neighborhoods–from the skyscraper lined avenues of NYC to the quaint downtown streets of Gainesville–waving bold anti-establishment signs at passing vehicles and pedestrians and chanting slogans like “Black lives matter!” and “For the people, by the people!”

It was the last Saturday before Super Tuesday, and ardent supporters of the one and only Bernie Sanders were rallying in earnest to get the last word out for his campaign, urging people to vote for the tenacious democratic socialist.

While all the other current candidates indulge generously in the million dollar campaign contributions offered by the Super PACs littering Wall Street, Bernie and his supporters take pride in the fact that their campaign’s successes rely instead on grassroots efforts such as these–movements that speak for the people, funded and represented exclusively by the people.

The turnout in Gainesville was relatively small, a humble ninety-four in comparison to the mobs of thousands in Pittsburgh and NYC, but the collective voice of the individuals was strong, and the political fervor fueling the voice even stronger.

After rendezvousing in the Plaza of the Americas, we proceeded down University Avenue to begin the trek all the way downtown and back again within the next two hours. We flashed our “#FEELTHEBERN” and “Feminists for Bernie” signs at passersby, inciting curious stares and ecstatic cheers alike.

Chants included (but weren’t limited to)–“Black lives matter,” “Not for sale,” “For the people, by the people,” “Free tuition for all,” “Free health care for all,” “Vote for Bernie,” “We are Bernie,” “Feel the Bern,” and “Close the wage gap.”

Throughout the march, dozens of passing vehicles voiced their support with a consistent stream of individual honks. Many proved even more enthusiastic, flooding our ears with incessant, raucous blaring–and on multiple occasions, a dozen spirited honks from a single car–as they whizzed past us.

While waiting at the intersection between 13th Street & University Ave, our senses were assaulted with a sudden surge of car horns, and as we approached a second intersection deeper downtown, another frenzied commotion erupted. At this point, my ears started ringing.

A handful of servers left their cafes to stand outside and voice their support as we walked past, and a few came out just to silently observe. Several customers enjoying their Saturday lunches nodded and smiled to express their support from behind glass windows, and a few pedestrians even joined in enthusiastically with our chanting as they walked past.

However, despite the support we received, not everyone rallied behind us in approval. Some guy in a truck made the effort to roll down his windows as he sped past to throw us the finger, and another dude started chanting, “Trump, Trump, Trump!” as he drove by–not to mention the sedan full of college kids that started screaming, “One percent, one percent!”

Of course, no one was actually disheartened by this small minority. I personally found the “one percent”-ers to be the most entertaining of the naysayers.

At the end of the march, we returned to the plaza to award prizes (gift cards and free Bernie merch) to those with the best homemade signs. At one point during the judging process, a girl sitting with a dog on her lap got up in exasperation after minutes of enduring the pup’s barking interrogations, announcing iconically, “She has to take a Trump.”

Overall, the march was a success. We got the word out, and made a statement. However, although those who showed face at the march were proud and passionate, they were few in comparison to what the numbers could have been.

Considering the vast amount of political resources here at the University of Florida as well as the diversity and scale of the student body, one would expect the institution to be an oasis of political progressivism and activism–despite it being entrenched within the dry, conservative political atmosphere of the deep South. But this is not the case.

Students here lack interest in garnering any sense of collective political enthusiasm until the general elections are already well underway. Most are unable to recognize that the primaries are just as important, if not far more important, than the general elections themselves.

In response to those who refuse to participate out of apathy or disgust–politics is so much more than power-hungry moguls, booming voices, clenched fists, and red faces. As caretakers of our own futures, it is a necessary and crucial skill to be able to see past its ugly facade and utilize what it has to offer.

Politics is messy, but it’s still the best shot we have at getting what we want and deserve. Democracy can’t function without educated activism. Not to mention–if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.

Some of the more comical, eye-catching signs

Ultimately, it’s crucial that millennials vote in both the primaries and the general election while engaging in the political conversation. We’re the largest group of voting-age people in the country. We’ve essentially been handed the opportunity to mobilize visions, to transform society and shake up the status quo.

With two political outsiders representing the opposite extremes of the presidential spectrum—a businessman and television personality shouting about building walls on one side, and the longest-running Congressional independent in US history upholding democratic socialist ideals on the other—it’s become increasingly apparent that this is a pivotal time.

The fate of this upcoming election and by extension, the future of our job market, our education system, and the prospects for our entire country are all contingent upon this generation’s choices. And the outcome won’t simply affect our national future. It will resonate internationally.

The banner of the Earth stands for unity, humanity, and futuristic optimism—Carl Sagan-esque values that all resonate elegantly with Bernie’s political campaign. Bernie’s stance on all the issues epitomizes our needs and priorities not only as a generation, but as a species

In the span of mere months, Bernie transcended his position as an obscure Vermont Senator and became a dangerous rival to America’s household names (Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump). No longer can he be marginalized as a fringe candidate. His grassroots campaigns are working.

Marches such as the one held in Gainesville and throughout the country last Saturday are a testament to the fact that we have the potential to outvote the establishment and spark a fearless political revolution–so long as we realize the extent of the political power and responsibility that each of us has.

Butters, the Trump-ing dachshund-beagle mix

Vote March 15th

The journey ahead towards real political change and socioeconomic equality is long and arduous. But without this first, crucial step–or as some would probably call it, leap of faith–in the right direction, we will never begin.

And it all starts here, on college campuses like ours.

“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.”

If you’re looking to get educated about Bernie Sanders and his campaign, here are some places where you can get started–

University of Florida: UF