We asked freshmen to reflect on their first semester at UF

We got the good, the bad, and the embarrassing

College is a time to discover oneself, try new things, explore ideas and experience everything in between. Freshman year is an especially exciting and life-changing time. After surviving their very first semester at UF, here are what some freshmen have to share about their experience, the good and the bad!

Anqi Zhang, freshman, Nursing

On her biggest revelation:

“Growing up in China, I’ve always been agnostic towards religion. Some of my family members have been Buddhists; some have been Christian; and some have been atheist. I wasn’t influenced by any. I figured religion just wasn’t for me. Before my high school color guard performances, I would silence my mouth during prayers, [and] during the pledge of allegiance, I would skip the “under God” part. I’ve even been to churches and youth groups, yet nothing affected my view.

“My first semester at UF truly has altered my standings: I became a Christian! I first learned a better understanding through a guy I was talking to. As the semester moved on, I felt hopeless and struggled with many issues. After speaking to a great friend, I was finally able to pick myself up from the ground with reading verses [and reaching] out for help!”

Sierra Blashock, freshman, Microbiology

On her biggest struggle:

“My biggest struggle was learning how to prepare for college tests. The material wasn’t necessarily harder, but the tests themselves were styled differently. I had to adjust and get used to how college professors wrote their tests and how what they taught applied to the questions.”

Zachery Ali, freshman, International Business

On his most embarrassing moment:

“I decided to put my schedule on my phone calendar because I live through it. My first class was an 8 AM, but it was canceled the first week. The next class after that was Spanish but not until 12. So it’s 9 AM, and I’m in the gym playing basketball with my friend when my phone goes off saying I’m late for Spanish. I panicked, so I left the gym and ran to the class. I had to sit next to the cutest girl in class sweaty and stinky, and near the end of class as the teacher was taking roll, I noticed she didn’t say my name. I went to talk to her, and it turns out my phone had the wrong Spanish class in and that my actual class was at 12 and not 9:30.

“The best part? That really cute girl, along with some of the other students, were in both of the Spanish classes, and they started laughing when had to explain that I wasn’t in their 9:30 class; I just went to the wrong one.”

Kelli McCarthy, freshman, Exploratory

On self discovery:

“The biggest thing I learned during my first semester of college has been the importance of staying true to myself. I have always lived with this belief close by me, but it has never been tested quite like it has throughout these last four months. No matter what I am experiencing I know that I can handle it if I stick to my values and beliefs!”

Sulav Rikudo, freshman, Pre-Med

On a lesson he learned:

“Being able to find a balance between academia and social life is a really difficult task. Before college, I thought I had it down…. However, once I got here, all the freedom hit me…. I would put friends over studying, telling myself that I have time. ”

Megan Wong, freshman, Political Science

On the best advice she received:

“Get involved. Making friends in college is different from making friends in high school. You have to go more out of your way to meet people. Joining clubs is the best way to do that.”

Ajay Patel, freshman, Computer Science

On his favorite thing about college:

“Greek life. Coming into college, I didn’t know many people and had no family. Greek life allowed me that option where I have a family away from home. Since I probated out, I’ve met a ton of people, made a lot of friends and just been really happy.”

Cat Cropsey, freshman, Microbiology

On what college has taught her:

“The biggest thing I’ve learned so far in college is independence. In college you realize everything is on YOU. Everything from your schedule, your health, your friends, your happiness, etc. is up to you to decide on or take care of. This transition to full independence really teaches you about yourself as a person and is critical to your success in college.”

University of Florida: UF