Sitting down with Kishan Patel, UF’s student body treasurer

He’s been dancing since he was two

Ahead of last week’s election results, TheTab UF sat down with the new University of Florida Student Body Treasurer Kishan Patel to learn more about him, his candidacy, and what he will bring to the University of Florida.

Tell the readers a little bit about yourself.

“I am a second year Industrial and Systems Engineering major with a leadership minor from Jacksonville, FL. I guess to tell you a little about my involvement, I currently serve as the Treasurer of the Indian Students Association and I serve on the Budget and Appropriations Committee in the Senate. I am also a resident assistant at Cypress Hall, I am involved in Project Makeover, and I was part of a Dance Team called Gator Ross and I have been dancing cultural Indian dances since the age of 2.”

Why did you choose to come to UF?

“The one realization moment I had about coming here relates to the dance team. My brother was on the dance team when he came to school here and his first year on the team they were at this competition, which happened to be their last chance to make a bid for the National Championships. I watched them perform and really kill it. They earned 1st place at this competition and they went on to Nationals, without their captain who had mono, and were able to learn the entire routine in one day. They ended up winning first place at Nationals.”

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

“My favorite spot on campus is actually the Reitz Union. Its open, its so great. I’m always finding new places to study and wander, and I am just so amazed with how the University of Florida has put on this expansion.”

Student Government Treasurer Kishan Patel via Impact Party Facebook Page

What are some of your hobbies?

“I love playing basketball. I also love dancing and doing artwork. Art is something I’ve been taking since the 6th grade but even outside of class, it’s something I enjoy.”

What’s your favorite bar or club in town?

“Um, I either have to say the OAK or BJ’s. The OAK has great food and I feel like it’s really offbeat, yet I love the environment they have there.  They have this shuffleboard thing, the thing they have on the side. Have you been to OAK?”

No I haven’t.

“Yeah, it’s kind like shuffleboard with your hand. Hand shuffleboard.  Then they have the big Scrabble. I really like that environment. And the reason I like BJ’s is they have pizookies. Those pizookies are really good.”

Describe FSU in one word.

“FS Who?”

What’s your best memory of your time at UF?

“My best memory so far was the reveal we had last year for Project Makeover. Each year we pick a school in the Alachua County area and we go paint a bunch of murals, beautify the campus, build playgrounds, and work on landscaping. We make it a place where kids really want to go and learn.

“On the weekend we do the makeover, we have thousands of volunteers that come out. On the following Monday, we surprise the kids with their new school. Seeing their reactions is priceless. That one day is probably the coolest moment at UF.”

Is that a UF Club that initiates that or can anyone from the community go and volunteer?

“It is a UF sponsored club, but anyone from the community can go help out.”

What is one thing you wish you could change about UF?

“I think making sure all students feel like they are cared for on campus is something I would change. Having students on campus from all backgrounds feeling comfortable on campus is something that is extremely important because it shows we care for them and they are part of this university too.”

This one’s a little silly but would you rather get attacked by a shark or an alligator?

“I would actually prefer to get attacked by an alligator because 1) I am most familiar with the alligator and 2) because in preschool I learned that if you run zig-zags, you can get away from one.”

Can you give me three main things you will bring to your position as Treasurer and UF student body in general.

“The Impact Party has the platform and our administration is ready to work together. Susan, BJ, and I all have the same platforms. One thing to go off on as my specific job as Treasurer would be to make sure all student organizations treasurers are properly trained and are aware of the codes and the proper timeliness of submitting requests. I want to ensure these organizations are able to receive additional funds for great programs they put on year after year with the quality of these programs increasing each year.”

What will you do as Treasurer to make student government more understandable and more accessible for students to learn about what’s going on?

“When it comes to student government awareness on campus, the biggest misconception is that if you provide information, the students will come and they’ll find out for themselves. The real solution to this problem is you have to go to the students. You can’t count this message to spread on your own. We have to be right there with them.

“Another thing, as Student Body Treasurer, I want there to be good communication with groups on campus, making sure they are all on the budget cycle, improving their SARs. My communication with these organizations will be key to my role as Treasurer.”

Some students are fed up with how the system works and how campus politics have prevented real change. Having been in Student Government and a member of the Impact Party, do you think this characterization is fair or unfair?

“I want to answer that question by saying yes that is an unfair characterization of our party. I think the frustration is very real. We as members of the Impact Party have been attacked since we declared our candidacy. I’ve been bullied on Facebook, subtweets, messages with angry comments, and I think it’s a completely unfair characterization of our party.”

Lastly, what can the UF Student Body expect out of you as Treasurer?

“UF Students can expect someone who has experience. I have the experience on the organizational end. I’ve been a student organization treasurer, and I’ve been able to submit requests to use money, I’ve submitted special requests for additional money, I’ve submitted line-item transfers, and I basically know the 800 codes on the back of my hand.

“I’ve also sat on the Budget and Appropriation Committee within the Student Senate and I’ve been able to allocate that money to the various student organizations on campus. I think it’s important that Student Government positions are filled with leaders with experience, and I believe the Impact Party has done that.”

University of Florida: UF