Here’s what happened at the first ever Bands for Shands benefit concert

A glimpse into planning Dance Marathon’s first ever benefit concert, and the awesome outcome that came from it

On February 18th of 2016, something pretty cool happened with UF’s Dance Marathon.

UF’s Dance Marathon, the most successful student-run philanthropy in the Southeastern United States, brought its talents to The JAM for DM’s first ever benefit concert. Bands for Shands was a massive success, not only because it raised money for Children’s Miracle Network but because it brought together two of the most amazing aspects of our wonderful school: Dance Marathon and the unique local music scene of Gainesville.

As an Entertainment Captain, planning Bands for Shands was one of the coolest parts of my Dance Marathon experience so far. I think I speak for my entire team when I say it was exciting and intensely rewarding to bring our passions for music and charity together, culminating one awesome night of local music for the kids.

Throughout the past four and a half months, the Entertainment Team made many decisions and worked hard to make this event happen. There was the ever-present question of whether or not we aim to get a huge name to Gainesville, but ultimately we decided against it. Instead, we decided to shoot for local acts. This decision was made in the aims of bringing together the local scene as well as the crowd who lives and breathes DM.

The result exceeded our expectation and was overall a huge success. The crowd was a combination of newcomers, amazed at the eclectic, music festival type atmosphere of The JAM’s backyard, and familiar faces who loyally attend every event The JAM has to offer.

Netgate, a local DJ, performed an awesome mix inside for the first to show up. Latchkey, a Gainesville favorite made up of various UF students, opened up outside for an excited crowd full of fans as well as those who came out simply to support Dance Marathon. Blind Mason, another Gainesville rock band, kept the show going with rockin’ covers that were easy to sing along to. By the time Morning Fatty – a funky rock band based out of Gainesville that now tours around the Florida area- closed it down, the JAM was full of students as well as their loyal fans who showed up to see their favorite band play.

The Tab even made an appearance!

This result was something the Entertainment Team hoped to see from the very beginning, the local music scene and the Dance Marathon scene coming together for the first time. For those who want to learn more about The JAM or any of the bands that performed, check out their Facebook pages here: LatchkeyBlind MasonMorning Fatty, and The JAM: Gainesville.

Many thanks to the awesome bands that performed, The JAM for having us, and the loyal fans that made this event as great as it was!

University of Florida: UF