Lil B was an absolute legend at UF last night

He accepted a two-on-two freestyle battle

With a smile and overall presence that could make an angel’s heart flutter, beloved rapper and internet personality Lil B, affectionately known as BasedGod, entered the grand ballroom of the Reitz Union to deliver a lecture in order to celebrate the recent expansion.

Speaking as though he were free-associating  with an air of ease, B delivered nothing short of a sermon that radiated the same positivity and love that has kept his fanbase strong and loyal.

Protect Lil B at all costs

Right off the bat, BasedGod assured the audience that he considered speaking at the University of Florida to be a blessing. He took a beat before delivering the following quote that set the tone for the rest of his speech: “We deserve the right to live, the right to love.”

He followed this by disclosing how humbled and fortunate he felt to be somewhere that supported unsigned, independent artists such as himself. This, in turn, made B feel like it is truly “a beautiful time to be alive.” To many, this may seem like the run-of-the-mill motivational hogwash one would encounter on an elementary school poster. However, Lil B made it evident he genuinely and wholeheartedly believes everyone in his audience and beyond should “realize how special their time is as a human being.”

UF student gives Lil B a custom hat to show his appreciation for the rapper

Though some adoring, over-enthusiastic fans could not contain the outbursts proclaiming their love for the rapper, he embraced each and every one of them by, almost instinctually, responding with, “Thank you, I love you too.”

BasedGod did not simply instruct his audience to be positive just as a default. He explicitly said to “be optimistic because it is fun, not just because.” He gave the audience the tools and knowledge necessary to reach that given state of optimistic nirvana and maintain it.

He stressed one should “never compare themselves to someone else.” If anything, we should be comparing ourselves to “our past selves and who we used to be” in order “to see the progress we’ve made and the things we’ve accomplished.” If we have not met the short term or even long term goals we have set for ourselves, we must “work while we wait.” Lil B strongly recommends taking time out of one’s day to physically write one’s accomplishments and goals down with a pen and paper because it is easy to forget.

The Tab LOVES Lil B

Lil B also went beyond addressing the mental state we should all strive to hold. To keep in the best physical shape, BasedGod recommends “treating yourself” to a glass of water and taking a long, relaxing walk alone at night to clear your mind and cleanse your body.

The rapper wanted to make it known a lot of his positivity is derived from the fact he attracted the fanbase he has by authentically “making music because it makes me smile and feel good,” not because he wants to make money. With that said, he explains “people yearn to be praised and accepted, so no one should deny anyone that.”

Lil B reminded us we have to continually “retrain ourselves and push our minds” past making judgements based on someone’s exterior. We should never make anyone feel bad about what they enjoy and should instead see what positive things we can take from the “beautiful minds” that surround us every day. “Listen to people’s lives as each is a special case […] We can come together with love, love can be a common factor.”

#TYBG

The night was wrapped up by a question and answer session where fans disclosed Lil B’s work had helped them get through the toughest of times, inspired them to be better people, and even helped them fight through serious conditions such as depression.

One fan presented Lil B with a custom hat while another challenged him to a two-on-two freestyle battle. Naturally, BasedGod accepted both and proceeded to pass around a clipboard for the audience to write down their emails and social media handles so that he could contact them in the future.

At the end of the day, Lil B is not here to count stacks and bust caps. He is wholly just the purest of souls who is here to grab life by the horns and enjoy every last second of it and everyone in it. He is “inspired by life, inspired by people” and “life clings to him like a magnet.”

And shout out to Lil B who gave The Tab UF mad love.

University of Florida: UF national-us