Does Greek Life cause more harm than good?

This divide needs to come to an end

The enormous amount of money pumped into the UF’s Greek Affairs begs the question of whether the slew of different organizations have a positive impact on the campus’ diverse student body.

On paper, the overarching purpose for the Greek system lies in the promotion of life-long friendships of like-minded people who strive for academic excellence and give back to the community. However, the threat of group polarization that permeates such circles can have divisive effects on college campuses that boast active Greek Life.

When I asked UF students about whether Greek Life divides or unifies the campus, the answers I received were often ambivalent.

UF Engineering sophomore, Miquel Jose Valois-Velez, said “It does [unify] although there is not a direct conflict between Greeks and non-Greeks, there is an internal tension between the two groups.”

This brings to light the lifestyle differences between the two groups and the often fervent hatreds that sometimes arise between competing fraternities/sororities. Miquel also commented on the general feeling of alienation of students not part of greek life when they are surrounded by those deeply embedded in the culture.

Alessia Beck, an Advertising sophomore at UF, also stated that Greek Life divided a campus more than unified it in her experience. Alessia remarked that those in Greek Life “rely heavily on their peers for socializing and the system ultimately discourages students from going outside of their comfort zone to go out and meet new people.”

While many extroverted youths in Greek Life certainly do branch out of their established social circles to meet new people , it is not uncommon for many Greeks to stay within their same circle of brothers/sisters for comfort. Indeed, it could be quite daunting to go socialize with complete strangers but in college this should be facilitated by established institutions , not discouraged.

Tailgates add a Dynamic aspect to UF campus. Even if non-greek guys are barred from joining in the festivities

The financial burden imposed on incoming freshmen who simply want a support group is similarly discouraging. They are already burdened by college tuition and should not be forced to take up another job in order to make “lifelong” friendships of like-minded people. Although this may be tempting to incoming freshmen in the fall who suddenly find they are barred from the frat parties that many underclassmen conceive to be the pinnacle of college life, the investment is undeniably hefty.

The enormous financial costs the University of Florida incurs through maintaining the Greek system could very well be used to provide viable alternatives for incoming freshmen to make friends. The University of Florida should take the vast funds it spends annually on Greek Life and perhaps lower its ridiculous on-campus housing costs or even fund more student-run clubs.

Nevertheless, UF will remain divided should it continue to support a system that alienates those who cannot pay for life-long friends promised to those who join Greek Life.

The often polarizing thought patterns of those involved in a subculture that glorifies binge drinking and promotes groupthink mentality unsurprisingly clash with those not involved in Greek Life.

This is not to say the University of Florida campus is one characterized of deep tensions among the student body. However, the cultural rift created by the very active greek life at UF is quite apparent on campus. Whether deep set divisions among the student body is good for the diversity of opinions among campus is up to the observer. Greek Life at UF undeniably adds an absurdity factor to the already eclectic student body and ultimately makes game-days at UF worthwhile.

University of Florida: UF