How your Valentine’s Day probably went

Someone obviously cried

Your Valentine’s Day probably consisted of chocolates, flowers and teddy bears from your significant other. What a beautiful and typical Valentine’s Day, right?

Wrong.

Yesterday mainly consisted of drinking wine while fighting between the thoughts of not needing a boyfriend and desperately wanting one. Of course, this only occurs if you live in an apartment consisting of four single girls.

The chocolate part of this sappy holiday may not be entirely reserved for those in relationships. What pairs with wine better than chocolate? OK, yes, maybe cheese, but chocolate works pretty well when one of your roommates is lactose intolerant.

While every couple at UF was off having a cute dinner or spending the day together, the single crew was ordering pizza, nachos, and macaroni and cheese to fill the void.

Spoiler alert: These foods were consumed with other single friends because eating alone like that sucks.

Consuming delicious chardonnay and carbs were not the only enjoyable activities done on Singles Awareness Day.

While throwing an official anti-Valentine’s Day party is pathetic on multiple levels, many girls across UF gathered together with those who share the same lame relationship status as you. The night probably started with games of some sort while the group states who they are not allowed to make contact with the night of Valentine’s Day and it quickly escalates to drunk texts, calls or Snapchats (I don’t know which one is the worst). Whatever route is taken never ends well…for anyone.

Drunk girls on Valentine’s Day probably lead to three scenarios: You started initiating the text or call to the one person you weren’t suppose to, the “mom” of the group started taking care of the first friend who started crying, and the chill friend sat on the couch avoiding the drama and simply observing the chaos while casually sipping a drink.

Even though Valentine’s Day was a mess and you all probably regret a lot of what happened the night before, you can’t help but to laugh in your group message about it all.

Whether you’re the type of single person who eats chocolate while watching The Notebook, makes pasta with your roommates, or throws a pathetic anti-Valentine’s Day party, you can have a great time wherever you are in your love life.

Yes, going out to a fancy dinner with someone you love and receiving roses is nice, but so is not worrying about or spending money on someone else. Of course this lovey-dovey holiday can bring out past memories and negative feelings, but it should be viewed in some good light as well. Valentine’s day gives UF students an opportunity to focus on our own well being, as well as an excuse to drink wine and eat a ton of food.

University of Florida: UF