We asked students how they really feel about Wiz Khalifa coming to UF

‘This campus needs Jesus’

Wiz Khalifa and K Camp will be performing at UF this week on February 11th in an attempt to draw more attention to Black History Month. But is it really creating the amount of buzz that Student Government Productions expected?

The Tab decided to chat with some students to see exactly how they feel about Wiz Khalifa coming to UF. Most of their responses fell a little short from ecstatic, in fact, it leaves us wondering if Wiz Khalifa is still relevant.

Even Kayne thinks he ain’t relevant

Giovana, Sophomore, Events and Recreational Planning

“I’m not a huge fan of him, so I’m not excited. I’m excited for people that are excited to go. I read about it and thought, ‘Oh that’s cool,’ and then just kind of moved on. I think it’s impressive how much they’re willing to spend to bring such huge celebrities to campus. But at the same time that money could be going to so many other places, and instead it’s going to these celebrities to come perform once.”

LucFreshman, Psychology

“I’m not a fan, I haven’t really listened to a lot of his music. I’m not annoyed by it or anything, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to and you have to pay for it.”

Kaycee, Freshman, Plant Science

“I don’t listen to rap. I’d prefer if they brought in a more alternative musician. I guess the majority of people like him but I think Wiz Khalifa performed at Florida Gulf Coast University a few years ago. I guess he was popular back then but not really anymore.”

Anna, Sophomore, Communication Sciences and Disorders

“I was actually really surprised at first, that they would bring someone so big. I think it’s awesome, I personally really like him but I see how it could be weird for some people. I don’t want to say he’s controversial but he does have a very specific image. His kind of music isn’t for everyone, it’s not universal, but I personally really like him. Although I see how some people could be kind of upset by his music and what he stands for.”

Jonathon, Senior, Sports Management and friend, Antony

Jonathon: “I like Wiz Khalifa, but I’m not too excited about K Camp. I would go if it were free but I dont want to pay. I feel like die-hard Wiz Khalifa fans might pay, but for an average student, I don’t think they’ll go. I know alot of students listen to country, I don’t know how many rap fans there are here.”

Ronique, Junior, African American Studies

“I’m not a big fan but I think it’s pretty cool. He’s a national celebrity coming to little old Gainesville. I won’t go, I’m just not super interested, but he’s cool. I believe he still has a large following.”

Natalie, Freshman, Nursing

“I think it’s really cool that UF is being diverse by bringing Wiz Khalifa, but I personally like Worship music. I think this campus needs Jesus.”

University of Florida: UF