Must-attend Gainesville concerts in February

Something to change up the boring Midtown scene

Lately the Midtown scene has been getting old. Sure, everyone loves a good slushy from Fat Daddy’s, but nobody loves being unable to move or being spilled on from the inevitable girl dancing on the bar. Rowdy’s is fun until Sorry has played for the fifth time and you realize the bathroom literally does not have stall doors. Cantina is always a good time for those seeking an outdoor feel, minus the Top 40 hits from the 2000s blaring every night.

All these irritations seem to be insignificant because we still find ourselves going back to Midtown, every time. We pay cover to stand in bars where we can barely move or hear ourselves think, much less be able to say hi to friends that we see across the room. We go home early because each place gets so crowded that we can’t breathe. Like I said earlier, it gets old.

So, what’s the solution to the problem? A good one would be to expand our horizons. There is so much more that goes on in Gainesville outside of the Midtown scene, and it’s high time students started taking advantage of the unique venues and experiences that this city has to offer. A great way to start is through the numerous concerts that go on weekly here in the ‘Ville. Keep reading for a list of the best, most interesting and in some cases, most ridiculously entertaining concerts coming to Gainesville in February.

Wiz Khalifa and K-Camp

Thursday, February 11th at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center

The great thing about this concert is that you don’t even have to choose between good ole’ Mid and the show. Student Government and the Black Student Union are bringing Wiz Khalifa to our very own Stephen C. O’Connell Center next week at 7:30 pm. You can roll up to see Wiz perform early and still make it to Karaoke Night at Fat’s by 11. Tickets are still available but going fast, get them and RSVP here.

Weeze and American Idiots (Weezer and Green Day Tributes)

Friday, February 12th at High Dive

What better way to start Valentine’s Day weekend than with some angsty rock of the 2000s? Just the day after Wiz Khalifa, two tributes to some of the most iconic artists of the past fifteen years will be performing at High Dive, one of Gainesville’s coolest and most intimate venues. Go ahead and skip waiting in line, paying cover and listening to the same songs over and over again in Mid. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your next Valentine during Weeze’s rendition of Beverly Hills. Learn more here.

(Photo credit: High Dive)

Waka Flacka Flame

Tuesday, February 16th at High Dive

Although not for the faint of heart, Waka Flacka Flame may be so ridiculous that it works. I’m not ashamed to say I’ve seen the guy more than once and even met him a time or two. No Hands is arguably one of the biggest hits of our High School days. Plus, the club doesn’t really go up on a Tuesday in Gainesville to begin with, so what do you have to lose? Buy tickets here.

Bands for Shands

Thursday, February 18th at The Jam

Not only is this the first ever benefit concert hosted by University of Florida’s Dance Marathon, but it is being held at one of the coolest, most unique venues in Gainesville: The Jam. Local favorites such as Latchkey and Morning Fatty will be performing, along with DJ Netgate and more. This is another early show that will leave plenty of time for fun after its end, but the best part of it is the money you spend will go towards saving children’s lives. Buy tickets here.

(Photo credit: jamgainesville.com)

The Mountain Goats solo as part of Gainesville’s Changeville Festival

Thursday, February 25th at High Dive

This last event is noteworthy because it is a part of Changeville, an event that brings together those that drive social change through music, film and more. The Mountain Goats have an awesome indie, folk type of sound for those that aren’t interested in rap or rock, and will no doubt put on a great show to start Spring Break off right. Click here for the event page, and if you want to find out more about Changeville and all of its performers, click here.

So there you have it, folks. Five incredibly good reasons to pass up the monotony of Mid and try something different. Gainesville has so much more to offer than Midtown, so don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and do something new.

University of Florida: UF