No one wants to major in Interdisciplinary Studies

Take it next year, you won’t regret it

You die during the application process and die again waiting for the acceptance letter.

Once you’re here, you either have no idea what to major in, maybe you plan to follow Mom and Dad’s suggested major, or you’re one of those people who’s naturally talented at determining their life. Having a strong determination is a talent, but not all of us are talented.

So, if you’re currently struggling to decide on a major, read away.

There are some reasons you may not want to major in interdisciplinary studies… but you definitely should!

You can’t even pronounce it

Inter-discipl-inary Studies at Emory is a major that allows students to integrate knowledge from various disciplines to acquire a holistic grasp of an academic area.

Now that you know how to pronounce it, let me tell you why you should consider this program – you will finish reading this calling your parents about your new major, so it’s important to first learn how to say the word correctly.

Inter-discipl-inary studies. Yes, you got it!

It is too broad of a topic?

Well, that is the whole point of it, dear. The program has a broad title so that YOU can choose your own topic of interest after deciding on an area of concentration. Plus, what could be better than having a major that no one else at your school and probably the nation has?

Such originality, much special, very IDS.

Oh, you’re pre-med? Haha, me too!

Well, even better! That med school of your dreams will be getting thousands of biology and chemistry majors.

This is where you stand out – majoring in the Interdisciplinary.

Studies department will allow you to fulfill all your General Education Requirements (GERs) and MCAT-needed courses while also giving you something to passionately talk about in your interview.

Trust me, creating your education will show your interviewees that you can creatively cure diseases – eradicate a tumor as well.

My beautiful roommate checking out the flyer of the IDS majors. She is pre-med.

Also, the NBB department at Emory has enough pre-meds now. Give it a break and give yourself an IDS blessing.

Ruben Diaz Vasquez Jose, an Interdisciplinary Studies major, a rising star, and someone whose autograph you want to keep.

You haven’t met the new Three Musketeers: IDS, Pre-Bus, and Pre-Law

What can ever be better than knowing the underlying psychological malfunction behind some politicians’ statements?

What can ever be better than understanding the philosophical reasoning in that last Baby Pampers advertisement?

The answer is nothing, because IDS has it all.

IDS is Emory’s masterpiece of a liberal arts education

It’s where you challenge professors that challenge you to win the challenge of discovering a topic on your own.

IDS really stands for I Drive mySelf. It is the only department at Emory that truly pushes your creativity and curiosity to the limits. Moreover, it is the only one where you are not restricted to take courses that you care less for just because they are included in your area of interest.

Be yourself. Drive yourself. Take one IDS course this next semester and you don’t need to thank me.

This is where you will write your honor thesis for the incredible IDS major.

Emory