Anna Howard Shaw Day is obviously the new Valentine’s

Thank you Tina Fey

You might be single, taken, or desperately waiting for your favorite Avenger to notice you (or Justice League member–I don’t judge), but you just hate Valentine’s Day.

It has little to do with the saint that was beheaded in Ancient Rome, makes single people feel bad, and pressures couples to scramble for expensive (yet “personal”) ways of proving their love to one another. None of that is cool, but you know what is?

Anna. Howard. Shaw. Day.

The lady in question

Who’s Anna Howard Shaw?

Anna Howard Shaw was a hardcore overachiever, and if she lived to be 100, she would have probably built her own airport just because she had a hard time falling asleep one night.

She was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England on February 14, 1847. She advocated for women’s suffrage and temperance (definitely not my thing, but you do you), which led her to meet Susan B. Anthony and eventually become the Vice President of the National American Woman Suffrage Association, and later the head of the Woman’s Committee in the Council of National Defense during World War I. She

Nice book report, Einstein. But how do I celebrate Anna Howard Shaw Day?

There are several fun Anna Howard Shaw Day activities (that are totally not made up) such as…

Register to vote!

Because what’s hotter than democracy?

Make democracy and women’s rights-themed cards

It’s a good use of the $2 Eagle Dollars you still have left for printing.

Get a medical degree you aren’t going to use

Preferably at Emory School of Medicine. Because you will NEVER LEAVE HERE.

Use your self-empowerment anthem as an alarm

Just so you know, your self-empowerment anthem is sung by Beyonce. Oh, you thought it was sung by Taylor Swift? No, it’s not. Beyonce is the only acceptable answer.

Buy all of the candy you can and re-purpose it as Anna Howard Shaw Day candy! (Candy Howard Shaw)

You’re gonna have to get it at the janky Emory Village CVS, but it will be worth it to eat fun-size Snickers for dinner for a week.

Re-purpose flowers for Anna Howard Shaw Day! (Anna Flower Shaw)

There’s usually some in front of the Health Sciences Library, but be sure to pick them when no one is looking. I’m pretty sure they’re part of your tuition package, but just be sure.

Watch girly anime and forget your loneliness! (Anime Howard Shaw)

Nothing like living vicariously through the characters of Ouran High School Host Club.

Learn to love yourself

Despite all of your Anna Howard Flaws.

Enjoy responsible amounts of alcohol if you are of legal age!

The Publix shuttle doesn’t run on weekends, but you can make it into a romantic walk to get booze. (Anna Howard Shaw didn’t care for drinking, but she can’t stop you. If her ghost comes after you, tell her to mind her own business and go get a law degree just because.)

How did you spend your last Anna Howard Shaw Day?

I scowled at happy couples all day and then watched Lord of the Rings by myself. Why do you ask?

However you spend your February 14th, whether it’s Valentine’s Day, Anna Howard Shaw Day, of the birthday of that dog from The Artist, just remember that this day, and every day, should be about love. And a little bit of consumerism doesn’t hurt either.

Emory