Is the rush process worth it?

Look at rush as a way of becoming a part of the community rather than joining an elite social group

Alone in a completely new part of the country, it almost seems inevitable that one would flock to the nearest social group in order to feel not only sane, but safe.

While sororities might not always seem like the answer, in some cases, to some people, they are. For college students, it’s important to feel a sense of belonging; a sorority or fraternity is a way of life for some, and a yearning for a community for others. As a freshman, it is important to weigh one’s options before making any type of big decision, especially one that affects one’s social life in such a new environment.

The unceremonious rumors of rape and roofies have not left the minds of some overly cautious parents, but at Emory, the whole scene seems somewhat different. When I personally decided not to rush, along with parental and monetary obligations, I thought the whole idea of spending money to become a part of a social group seemed a little cliche and unnecessary.  

As a novice in the Emory arena, I thought the sorority scene on campus would be much like the tragic tales I had heard from friends who were a part of their party-filled and extremely dramatic sororities at universities dispersed across the country. In all honesty, after thinking about the pros and cons of the hodgepodge of information that had been thrown at me, only one word surfaced in my mind: yikes.

However, what is different about Emory’s sororities is that they are not exactly the same as your typical southern, go-hard-or-go-home sororities. After speaking with current freshmen and sophomores about the rushing process, the nightmares of unavoidable fake friends, ludicrous introductory activities, and unnecessarily peppy girls suddenly began to vanish. Defying my expectations, it seems as though the reputation of Emory’s sororities is unlike most places.

In a sense, it isn’t the same “Greek Life” compared to other schools, especially since only 30% of the student population is actually involved in it. According to current sophomores who decided to rush, the rushing process is overseen in a more holistic sense.

They emphasize girls feeling comfortable, rather than pretending to be someone they are not. In addition, the focus is on community, and the people in your sorority become a support system. Yes, partying on random Thursday nights is inevitable, but the extremism that is present elsewhere is almost nonexistent. You don’t need to be in a sorority or fraternity to have a social life. You don’t need to be fake during rush, you just share your best qualities.

But at the end of the day, is it worth it? The part that seems to be the pitfall of most people’s hardships during rush are expectations. People hear different opinions of each sorority, and because of this some girls already set themselves up for a loss. Keeping an open mind is key. That’s not to say one should go into rush week with low expectations, but rather, to take the week as it comes. Coming into a new experience with a set idea of what you want out of it may not lead to the best outcome.

Personally, it seems more beneficial to look at it like a way of becoming a part of the community rather than joining an elite social group. At the end of the day, college is about making memories and finding experiences that speak to you. What’s important to remember is that this doesn’t have to be done through a social group, but it can be fulfilled with clubs or sports teams. Finding your niche in a new place isn’t easy, and even though certain assumptions make joining a sorority seem hellish, it may be a way to find a new community, home, and family.

Emory