Free burritos for all because every Chipotle in the US is shut

You just have to text by 6pm today

Chipotle is giving away free burritos until 6 p.m. if you text RAINCHECK to 888222.

You may find yourself in silent, hungry vigil outside of Chipotle around 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, as the beloved burrito haven will be busy putting a new food safety program in place – but they’re making up for the inconvenience by giving away freebies.

Remember the Chipotle E. Coli outbreak last year? The gauc-topped epidemic caused the chain to have a nation-wide food safety meeting on food preparation and handling today to see how they can better prevent incidents such as this in the future. According to the Chipotle website, here’s what will be covered:

• High-resolution testing of ingredients from the supplier before they reach the restaurants
  • Marination of raw chicken and steak only after the other fresh ingredients have been stored at the end of the day, so as to prevent cross-contamination
  • Blanching produce to eliminate pathogens
  • New cleaning and sanitizing routines during service and at closing
  • Higher frequency of inspections
  • Employee wellness measures (such as paid sick leave) and incentives for restaurants with excellent food safety

If you want to learn more about the meeting, check out @ChipotleTweets for more information.

Even more important: Get some free pathogen-free dinner.

Emory