‘Out of the Blue’ releases new album, Youth

And it is killer

It is still incredible to me that men like Raymond Moore can make such ludicrous and, quite simply, incorrect statements about women riding “on the coattails of the men”.

Well, Raymond, I have 35 girls ready to prove you so unbelievably wrong, and they’ll do it in six minutes or less.

“We named the album ‘Youth’ because the variety of songs encompasses a lot of the different experiences and emotions that people go through while they’re growing up.”

This is what member Jessica Matthys (’17) said to me when asked to describe Duke A Cappella group, Out of the Blue’s new album, titled Youth. As one of the other members stated at the group’s spring concert on Friday night, “One of the things we take most seriously as a group are our recordings.”

She was not joking. Throughout the week I had seen various members of the group posting the link to the music video that the group collaborated with Duke’s dance group “Momentum” to create, one made to promote the release of the new album on Spotify.

Jessica had sent me the link to the video on Wednesday night, but I continued to click the link every time it popped up on my Facebook and watch it over and over. Trust me, 10 views were not enough, at least for me.

The opening chords were enough to send shivers down my spine. All the girls provide a strong background melody, and lead singer Alice Marson’s (’17) voice rings out clear and beautiful performing the group’s rendition of the song ‘Youth’, a piece originally performed by “Daughter” but done absolute justice by “Out of the Blue”.

Momentum Dance Company’s collaboration is also so beautifully timed and well executed. As one member said, “It was really really cool to have a lot of input on [the video from Momentum] and see the outcome,” and it was definitely an outcome worth the hard work and partnership.

Together the two all-female groups have created a video far better done than one would expect from a college A Cappella group, or any non-professional group, really. The video itself is moving, but the voices of the girls in “Out of the Blue” are what make the video so stunningly chilling. When put to the backdrop of Momentum’s dance routine for the video, the compilation is spellbinding. Seriously. You won’t be able to look away.

The full album was released on Spotify on Thursday, and I downloaded it as soon as it was available. Every song on the album is equally as beautiful as Youth, each with its own unique voice and rhythm to keep the album as a whole diverse. As one member so honestly put it, “we won first runner up [with our last album] so we’re hoping that ‘Youth’ is going to take back the title.”

I’m hoping so, too, ladies. Good luck and congratulations.

You can download Youth now on Spotify now.

Duke University