Top high school recruit in Class of 2016 commits to Duke

Welcome home, Harry Giles

Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones, long-standing best friends, committed to Duke as a package deal in 2014, before going on to win a national title.

Today, Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum, the No. 1 and No. 2 players in the ESPN 100 for 2016, sealed yet another deal after Giles chose Duke despite offers from Wake Forest, Kansas, and Kentucky.

Will we be seeing yet another national championship for Duke?

Although the North Carolina native isn’t even a legal adult until April, Giles has already proven himself to be the highest ranked player of his class. Prior to turning 18 years old, Giles will already have three gold medals under his belt after contributing to the success of USA Basketball’s performance in Uruguay, Dubai, and Greece.

This Friday afternoon, Giles announced that he would be joining fellow Duke recruits Jayson Tatum, Javin DeLaurier, and Frank Jackson, although he faces an inopportune, torn ACL in his right knee after an incident just yesterday.

Despite his injury, Giles has the physical stature of an NBA all-star while still being enrolled as a high school student. Standing 6’10, with a 7’3 wingspan, Giles is also equipped with a strong 230-pound frame – impressive physical characteristics that allow him  to attack the glass, run the floor, and play above the rim. Such features significantly contribute to Giles’s versatility that  he exhibits as a power forward.

Hopefully we’ll see great things from the new recruit – Welcome home, Harry Giles.

Duke University acc basketball duke duke basketball duke university durham harry giles ncaa recruits