Revealed: Explicit posts by Dartmouth professor sentenced for child porn possession

His sentence begins this week

J. Martin Favor, a former African American studies and English professor, was sentenced to five and a half years in prison last month.

Favor, 49, pleaded guilty to a federal child pornography charge – he was found in possession of 500 videos and 300 photos of children being sexually abused.

Now The Tab has unveiled the explicit posts Favor uploaded to Tumblr pornography forums – be warned, it makes for grim reading.

By conducting a Tumblr site search with Favor’s username – “lustyjourney”, as was revealed in the case’s affidavit – we found the pornographic posts he commented on and shared in the months leading up to his arrest. These comments are still publicly available online.

One fantasizes about having sex in a public place and another comments on a pornographic video clip. The darkest comment discusses incest between father and son.

Favor came under suspicion when he posted several photos and videos that were flagged by the Tumblr’s child pornography filter. Later on, authorities found videos depicting the sexual abuse of children.

He was originally discovered to be in possession of child pornography when a program named PhotoDNA, developed by Dartmouth Professor Hany Farid, flagged a post made to Tumblr showing children being sexually abused, rousing the attention of authorities.

Favor’s attorney, George Ostler ’77, who also served as an attorney for Alpha Delta fraternity last year, said Favor recognizes he suffers from an addiction and will turn to mental health treatment.

Favor began working at the College in 1993 and became a tenured professor in 1999. His sentence is set to begin August 5th.

The above photo of Favor is a promotional picture from Dartmouth – there is no implication the students shown have anything to do with this case.

Dartmouth