This Valentine’s Day, call your grandma instead of your girlfriend

It is possible to enjoy yourself on Single Appreciation Day?

In an age of dying human connectivity, the irony of the paradox technology has presented to us is astounding. With texts, emojis, Snapchats, and video chats allowing humans to instantly connect with one another across the world, how is it possible so many teenagers and young adults feel more alone than ever?

While developments in communications have valuable uses, they often end up trivializing human attempts at interaction.

The technological dilemma our 21st Century lives present to us is a conundrum. While we’ve managed to cover a large surface area of human social interaction we’ve completely missed its oceanic depth and have instead found ourselves wading in a mildew infested Friendsy and Tinder kiddie pool. So it;s not difficult to see how such holidays like Valentines Day have been attributed nicknames like Single Appreciation Day (SAD).

However, with all seemingly irresolvable problems, there are choices and solutions whether we realize them or not.

You have the choice to either push into the gradient that is the lonely narcissist, or chose to see all of the love in your life.

Call your grandma.

She loves you and misses you.

Actually have a substantial conversation with your mom. She’s probably got some wild stories that she was too ashamed to tell before you turned 20.

Find joy in the small things in life.

Be an active listener and empathize with others. Being kind to other people will be of great benefit to your psyche. The easiest way to understand your own human struggle is to fully embrace the struggle of someone else.

Look around you. You’re not alone, love is everywhere. You just have to say yes to it!

Dartmouth