‘We won, and I didn’t know what to do other than run’: Dalyn Williams exclusive

The 16’s record breaking career at quarterback culminated in the first Ivy League title in 19 years

Senior quarterback Dalyn Williams closed the book on a historic football career on Saturday, topping off his career with Dartmouth’s first Ivy League title since 1996.

Williams not only led the Big Green to the championship, but also has etched his name into Dartmouth’s record books in several categories. He now holds the Dartmouth record in passing yards, pass attempts, completions, completion percentage, and total yards.

The Tab spoke with Williams this week to talk about his career with the Big Green and what he is focusing on now collegiate football has come to an end.

Photo by Josh Renaud

Can you walk us through the end of the Princeton game from the game-winning drive to winning a piece of the title?

Well, our defense stopped them, and I knew we were getting the ball in good field position and it was up to the offense to move the ball. We did so methodically, and put the ball in the end zone.

After we scored, I immediately jumped up and ran. The same happened after they spiked it with one second. We won, and I didn’t know what to do other than run.

Photo by Josh Renaud

What have the past few days been like for you since the big victory on Saturday?

The past few have been pure bliss and contentment. Being the competitor I am though, I couldn’t help but think we should have been outright champs, but this will do.

We have been receiving nothing but congratulations and love from alumni, professors, parents and each other as teammates. It has been a great few days.

After four impressive seasons you are now on top in the Big Green record books for several categories. What does this mean to you, and what prepared you for such success over your Dartmouth career?

It means a lot that for the near future, I will be remembered for my level of play. It is a great feeling. I attribute my success to my teammates and coaches — without them I am very stoppable.

What do you consider to be your biggest success as Dartmouth’s quarterback?

My biggest success as Dartmouth’s QB has to be leading the team to the first title in 19 years. A close second is going 23-25 against Penn this year — that was fun to be in such a zone.

Courtesy of Dalyn Williams, originally featured in the Valley News

Can you talk a bit about your relationship with Coach Teevens?

Coach Teevens is the man! I love him. He does a great job showing his players that he cares for you as a person, and as a player you would do anything for that coach. I have been extremely blessed to be with Coach Teevens these last four years. He is a great coach but an even better man.

Can you talk a bit about the senior class, and how they were able to help the program win the title after four years?

The senior class is a very tight knit, resilient group. We love football and each other, and that recipe combined with the support of alumni, our coaches, and parents made for a special year. I can’t forget that we were really talented.

What next for you? Are you pursuing professional football?

Yes. I am pursuing pro football. I am giving it my all and giving myself the best chance by training and putting school off until later. You only get one shot at your dreams, so I’m chasing it with my eyes open. (Williams is taking the next two terms off to train.)

Photo by Josh Renaud

Dartmouth