Mental health awareness: How are we doing?

Dartmouth students weigh in on mental health on campus…

Anyone who was in attendance of the “Behind the Mask” panel discussion on Thursday, November 5 at Rollins Chapel can attest to the fantastic sense of community and understanding which each of the panel speakers imparted on the audience. It was impossible to leave the chapel with feeling a strong sense of hope and renewed awareness.

As the chair of the student wellness committee Speight Carr said: “Uncomfortable conversation can bring us closer”.

This is certainly true, despite the fact that many of the stories shared were not necessarily easy to hear, they clearly are absolutely necessary to the dialogue about mental health awareness.

By bravely sharing their stories, these students are starting what one can only hope will be a chain-reaction of sharing stories, lending support, and seeking help.

Last night, Dr. Heather Earl, director of counseling and human development, shared the statistic that 1 in 4 college students will experience a mental health crisis at some point in they college careers.

Given the prevalence of mental health issues on college campuses, it is important to take time to reflect on how our campuses doing in terms of mental health awareness.

Diedra, ’16, Psychology and Anthropology modified

“I think mental health at Dartmouth is an issue that a lot of times I think people don’t talk about but it is a super stressful environment and a lot of times people have issues going on before they come here or once they come here and we’re starting to build a community of support and I think that’s something we’re doing well and something we can continue.”

Lauren, ’17, Neuroscience

“I think we’re definitely doing better than we’ve done in the past and obviously there’s always room for improvement and this event is absolutely amazing. We should definitely have more things like this.”

Ally, ’17, Neuroscience

“I wouldn’t say that previous efforts have been poor, but I really appreciate things like this to destigmatize psychological disorders and mental health because in a college campus.”

“It’s so easy to get caught up in stress and it’s good to really take a moment and recognize things like this and that other people are going through difficult times and that you might be as well.”

Michelle,’19, Undecided

“I just really don’t know much about it.”

Susan, ’19, Biology

“I guess I feel like there’s not really that much conversation about it but i’ve heard in passing people talking about stress related breakdowns.”

Overall, the mood of the evening was one of hope and renewal, and it seems as though Dartmouth is headed in the right direction with regards to mental health issues.

Dartmouth