Student Body President Frank Cunningham on his campaign to improve mental health at Dartmouth

‘I knew that if this was something that I was going through, many others must be suffering as well’

Although nearly all Dartmouth students can attest to the endless number of fun activities on campus, our primary role here is being students. Because of this, often we may feel immense pressure to succeed.

While it is certainly important to focus on schoolwork, it seems as though our dedication to academics can sometimes come at the cost of our mental health.

Through long nights in the library, early mornings in class, and all of the other activities that keep us busy throughout the day, we can easily lose sight of the fact that maintaining our mental health is an essential part of physical well-being.

A discussion on the academic demands of college life

Although many college students face issues such as anxiety, depression, and eating disorders, they often feel the need to keep silent about their condition because of the social stigma surrounding mental health issues on campus.

In order to prevent students from succumbing to these issues in the form of self-harm or even suicide, they must be discussed so that those suffering understand that they are not alone. The cultural climate, especially on college campuses, must shift in order to convey the message that mental health issues can affect anyone, and this shift can only be accomplished by actually talking about these problems.

By removing the “mask of perfection” that so many Dartmouth students wear to hide the issues with which they suffer, a true sense of community will form and countless lives will be impacted. In discussing the issues that so many of us face, sufferers will begin to realize that they are not alone.

One student’s sticker for sticker day, November 5, 2015

At Dartmouth, there are numerous resources that exist for students to seek help. One example, the Counseling and Human Development center is located on the second floor of Dick’s house and is open to all students. But, even with these resources conveniently located on campus, many students may be uncomfortable admitting that they have a problem.

In order to help students feel comfortable accessing the help that is so readily available, we as a community need to change the way that we view mental illness.

To learn more about what Dartmouth is doing to improve mental health in our community, The Tab caught up with Frank Cunningham ’16, Student Body President and leader of the ‘Stop Hiding Start Talking’ initiative, to hear his opinions on mental health at Dartmouth.

Student Body President Frank Cunningham presenting at a ‘Stop Hiding Start Talking’ event

What is “Stop Hiding Start Talking” and what does it do?

Last year, student assembly started the mental health campaign ‘I’m here for you’, and its goal was to raise awareness of mental health issues on campus.

“Stop Hiding Start Talking” is a part of this campaign, and it takes place over the course of four weeks with the goal of getting students to rip of the mask of perfection that they wear to cover up mental illness, and start having honest discussions about these issues.

What do the four weeks of this campaign entail?

The first week deals with sexuality and identity, the second with the academic demands of college life, the third with substance abuse and social anxiety, and the fourth week is the culminating experience of sticker day and the community mental health panel.

During sticker day, faculty, students, and staff are encouraged to wear stickers that read “I hide my ____ behind my___”.

People are encouraged to write their own personal responses in the blank spaces, as a way to tell the world “I am not defined by mental illness or what I am going through during this time”.

The stickers can also be left blank, and simply be worn to show support for sufferers of mental health issues, or to indicate that the wearer believes that not enough is being done about mental health issues at Dartmouth.

How did these campaigns come into being?

During my sophomore year, I suffered with depression. When I was elected student body vice president, I worked with President Hanlon in order to create more awareness and discussion about mental health issues on campus. I knew that if this was something that I was going through, many others must be suffering as well.

Student Body Vice President Dari Seo performing at a ‘Stop Hiding Start Talking’ event

What do you want Dartmouth students to know about mental health?

What I really want Dartmouth students to know is that everyone is going through something. Mental health is not just one student’s problem, it is a community’s problem and it’s going to take all of us to fix it. Also, it’s okay to struggle and to go seek help.

What’s the most important message you hope to convey with the ‘Stop Hiding Start Talking Campaign’?

Community. It’s everyone. Everyone has to be part of the solution, and really through working together, that’s possible.

Clearly, the Dartmouth community is in good hands with a student body president that is so committed to mental health issues. However, this work can not be accomplished by one person alone.

As a community, we must work tirelessly to eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health, and create a safe space where anyone can openly talk about their struggles without fear of judgment.

If you are interested in attending the fourth and final event of the ‘Stop Hiding Start Talking Campaign’, ‘Behind the Mask’, it will be taking place Thursday November 5, at 8pm in Rollins Chapel and is open to all members of the Dartmouth community.

Dartmouth