Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Souleymane

Souley’s a lot more than a smiling face at the HOP. Here’s his story

Whether you know Souleymane as the cheerful guy who swipes your Quesos at the HOP, or you simply know of Souleymane from your friends and Yik Yak, there’s no denying that he’s one of the most iconic DDS workers on campus.

And for good reason: we’re talking about a guy who’s never not smiling. Even when we were finding a table to do this interview, he was singing and just being awesome.

Let’s start easy. Where did you grow up?

Western Africa, in Mali, then I came over to Hartford, VT in my teens, around late ‘90, early ‘91.

So that’s how you landed in Hanover?

Yeah, I have been working in Hanover but still live in Hartford, not too far from the house where I grew up.

Where’d you go to high school? Hartford High?

Hartford High, yes. Then I went to the University of Illinois. *big smile* Champaign Urbanaaaa, fighting Illinini!

How long have you been working here?

Ohh, I worked in Hanover since ’97 when I was a senior in high school, but I say since ’02 when I came back to Dartmouth.

This is one for the students: word on the street is that you’ve got a super-hot girlfriend?

Ahhhh no I do not have a super-hot girlfriend.  I have a super-hot wife!

Her name’s Tyna, and we have two little girls—Olivia and Sophie. Olivia is in second grade, and Sophie is in kindergarten. Hanging out with them is my favorite.

Where’s your favorite place to eat on campus?

Definitely the Courtyard.

Loyal. And your favorite thing to order?

Ummmm probably the burger special, it changes but it’s usually a ½ pound burger with different things, just because it’s big enough to stuff me, and I don’t have to order for a long time.

I hear that! Any insider tips, or super-secret items?

I think all the secrets are out! You know, the Bob Marley, the Christmas Hulk, these aren’t on the menu, but someone finds out, then before you know it, everybody knows.

Usually when I see somebody come through with odd combinations I have to try it myself.

When & why did “boss” become your go to nickname?

Ummm, I do not know when exactly. It used to be all “sir,” “ma’am,” it gets pretty boring, and some people do not like to be called that.

It’s good to change it up a little bit. I heard “boss” somewhere, and thought “hey! I like that” and it’s been working for me.

Do you work out?

Ahhhhh no, not anymore, I do not work out. I used to, I used to play wheelchair basketball, that’s how I went to school.

Wait wait wait–you were a scholarship athlete in college? At the University of Illinois?

Yes boss!! I played wheelchair basketball and did races, that’s how I was able to go. I have Polio disease, you cannot see it but I have braces on both legs, I call them my “robo legs.”

When I am at home I use two crutches or my wheelchair, I use a cane at work.

I see you’ve got a pretty sweet camo cane

Haha yeah, right? Olivia picked that out.

When did you get Polio?

It happened to me at age 8. It’s been like my best friend—always been there! *laughs*

Damn dude. How do you think the Polio has affected you as a person?

I’d like to say for the better. I cannot imagine myself or my life without it, it’s all I know, you understand?

I don’t know anything else. It helped me get my education though. I think it’s made me a better person.

Are you aware of your presence on campus?

Uh, not 100%. When I’m off work, out and about, sometimes people tell me that my name comes up on social media and the likes, I hope it’s all good.

Oh absolutely. Students across campus frequently cite your happiness and smiles as standout parts of their days

Thank you, that means a lot to me… because that’s why we here, you know, to be part of the Dartmouth experience. Sometimes I have off days, we [DDS employees] all do, but we’re always here for you.

Last question: is there anything you’d like to say to the Dartmouth student body?

I’d like to say to be strong, to stay true to yourselves, and if you respect yourself, others will respect you.

Good stuff Souley. One last big thank you from The Tab to DDS, and to Souleymane, for being a truly outstanding member of the community.

You’re the man, boss!

Dartmouth