Uber has just cut its prices down like crazy

I guess they started feeling bad for us

So it looks like Uber is cutting prices by 15 per cent and it doesn’t really matter too much as to why. Maybe its because its off season. Maybe its because they started to feel sorry for all the other ridiculous prices we have to deal with in the city (we can only hope).

Regardless the prices are down and I don’t have to worry about spending half my paycheck on a ride home when the trains are taking 30 minutes to get to my station. And after all the surcharge bullshit that has definitely caused some grief in a college student’s wallet, we can finally just take an affordable ride without planning out how many overtime shifts you need to work to cover it.

But while the news is great for struggling students and city residents, a lot of Uber drivers are infuriated with the prices going down. The lower prices will bring about lower salaries for the drivers, since they work off of commission. Uber drivers are forced to give 30 per cent of their fares directly to management and with the prices going down, cutting out 30 per cent will hurt even more. In fact a small portion of drivers have even started to protest against the taxi service and are urging other employees to do the same.

But for now, let’s all enjoy something being somewhat cheap in the city because we all know that doesn’t come around that often.

Hunter College