Governor Cuomo to take executive action to protect transgender people

The law will protect against discrimination with respect to housing and employment

With the increased attention paid to issues having to do with transgender rights and gender identity comes changes in the law intended to reflect that increased attention.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a plan to protect transgender people against discriminatory practices with respect to housing and employment, as well as other significant areas.

The State Division of Human rights will be directed to extend aspects of a 1945 law which protects against discrimination to cover gender identity, transgender status and gender dysphoria.

Hunter Sophomore Nadiya Aryullina said: “I support it and I really hope that this would be the reality as soon as possible because I don’t see any trouble in why transgender people would not be hired just because of who they are.”

Nadiya Aryullina

Adding to that perspective, Sociology Junior Mina Peters said: “I think it’s a good law to have passed because why should they be discriminated?

“I think we’re going to look back at this a couple years from now just like we look back at how blacks were discriminated against.

“You know we’re starting to look back at how gays were discriminated and we’re going to look back at how it was crazy to discriminate against them in the workplace in the first place.”

Mina Peters

Hunter College CUNY Hunter Cuomo Governor Cumo The Tab Transrights