We asked Hunter students what they think about Greek life

‘I think frats are outdated boys’ clubs’

In 2013, 19-year-old Michael Deng, a sophomore in Baruch, died as a result of a fraternity hazing ritual known as the the ‘glass ceiling,’ in which pledges must carry a backpack filled with sand while frat members tackle them to the ground.

37 members of his fraternity, Pi Delta Psi, face charges ranging from assault to third-degree murder. And the fraternity has been barred from recruiting new members on Baruch’s  campus, assuring its eventual disappearance.

Michael’s death happened far from Baruch’s Manhattan campus, at a private residence in Pennsylvania, prompting questions regarding how colleges can effectively regulate the behavior of Greek life around the country.

The shock of this trial comes amid controversy surrounding several other greek life organizations around the country.

In March, a pledge at New York’s Syracuse University suffered frostbite in four fingers after being made to do exercises in the snow. That prompted Syracuse to suspend the fraternity, Nu Alpha Phi. That same month, the Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter at the University of Oklahoma was closed and its members were suspended after a video of members singing a racist chant went viral.

And later, Kappa Delta Rho was suspended from Pennsylvania State University after a private Facebook page run by fraternity members containing images of unconscious women was leaked.

With campuses in the heart of New York City, CUNY isn’t known for its large Greek life organizations, but the Deng story has made the role of frats a conversation on campus.

We asked students around Hunter what they think about Greek life and its role in American universities.

Fahad, 22, Biochemistry

“Frats should only be for networking purposes. They should exist, but they should be reformed.”

Ericka, 22, Russian

“Sure, Greek life is stupid, but they have a right to exist, albeit under regulation.”

Danielle, 19, Pre-Med

“You can’t really regulate hazing that well, they’ll find loopholes. Greek life should be about brotherhood, sisterhood, and community service.”

Adrien, 17, Undeclared

“There should be hazing regulations on fraternities, since not all Greek life is violent. They still have a place on campus.”

Claudia, 19, Undeclared

“Honestly, this makes me terrified of Greek life. I don’t think it should be removed because of the connections and benefits members can get, but the relationships should be based on trust, not violence.”

Chynna, 18, Nursing

“Schools should definitely put regulations on Greek life. It’s only fair to remove violent frats and keep service-based ones.”

Tanya, 17, Pre-Med

“Frats shouldn’t be banned, but schools should pay closer attention to hazing. Not everyone should pay for the crimes of a few violent frats.”

Andrea, 20, Political Science

“Forcing people to do things so you can feel superior is stupid. I don’t know if Greek life is outdated, but it definitely has a bad reputation.”

Michael, 21, Political Science

“Frats increase violence and sexual assault on campuses that are already steeped in violence and sexual assault. Greek life doesn’t have a place on campuses, and frats are outdated boys’ clubs. Yes all frats.

Sardar, 19, Mathematics

“Brotherhood and sisterhood is important but perhaps outdated. Greek life should be a place to make quick friends.”

Michael, 18, Music

“Hazing can get out of control. I’m not in Greek life and some frats can get out of control, but I think they’re socially important.”

Bobby, 22, Bioinformatics

“I’m a member of Iota Nu Delta, and Greek life changed my life. I think anti-hazing is enforceable but Baruch has handled the situation poorly.”

Hunter College CUNY Baruch CUNY Hunter Fraternity Frats Hazing