Cornell students walkout after presidential election results

‘Love trumps hate’

Cornell students are walking out this morning “in response to the hate speech driving this year’s presidential election.”

Hundreds have gathered outside Bailey Hall to protest the election results, although the event description emphasized: “This is not simply an ‘anti-Trump’ rally.”

Students are wearing all-black and chanting “The people united will never be defeated” and “Love trumps hate.”

Hiba Azar, a junior at Cornell, told The Tab: “For many, this election has brought feelings of fear, anxiety, despair and hopelessness.

“As stated towards the end of the rally, ‘this is our family,’ and I’m really proud of the Cornell community for uniting during this hard, uncertain time and for taking a stand in solidarity with minorities and marginalized groups.”

Sophomore Nitya Deshmukh added: “It felt incredibly cathartic to yell out my frustrations about this election, this system, this political atmosphere and I felt supported during a time when I felt really alone and worried. Everyone else felt the same way and we gave each other the support we needed”

Nitya

The march headed towards the Arts Quad, where the statue of Ezra Cornell is. Students stood for a moment in silence, and posed with their fists in the air.

Filmed by Tab reporter Lisa Vollmann.

The event description read:

“We are sad, angry, and frustrated with the outcomes of the election, and realize that this election was never ours. This is not simply an ‘anti-Trump’ rally. Nor is this only a rejection of the bigotry that has been allowed to fester in this country through racism, sexism, classism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, queerphobia, climate change denial, transphobia, and other forms of violence targeted against those most marginalized in this country and globally. We stand together for a world in which we can walk down the street without fearing for our lives and the lives of our loved ones.”

Cornell