Tricking vegans into thinking they’ve eaten meat is the worst viral ‘craze’ of 2016

They’ve gone too far

It appears that the latest internet trend (no, not the mannequin challenge) has lent itself to feeding animal products to vegans.

The punchline of the joke has landed upon mistreating vegans for the opportunity of a good laugh.

That’s right, some online bloggers have apparently decided to record videos involving tricking vegans into thinking they’re eating meat products. And it’s all at the expense of people who follow their own moral beliefs and who choose this animal product-free diet – it would seem people think it’s funny to record their reactions after unknowingly eating meat.

The videos almost always end the same way, with the vulnerable subject avoiding the camera and upset at the friend or significant other who pulled the prank on them.

Like some trends, it’s somewhat incomprehensible to imagine why people would consider doing this to their friends in the first place. It is even more mind-boggling that others have followed suit. The content of the videos is not particularly funny, but does have a bit of shock value.

However, because these reaction videos come from vloggers, the general public has no idea what was going on behind the scenes. The line between what is real and what is staged can be blurred on pranks like these, so of course, it’s best to observe the footage of vegans unknowingly eating a burger with a pinch of salt.

But whether any of the videos that are part of this trend are real or not, it’s important to recognize the theme at play. Occasionally we may get annoyed at vegans who claim “my way or the highway” with their decisions, reminding everyone of their intentions to live an animal product-free life a bit too much.

And it may be harder to feed someone with many restrictions, but we should respect the people who choose to be vegan. They are trying to be mindful to the earth and the conscious effort to never give into a juicy bacon cheeseburger is most likely very difficult. The videos being shared – at the expense of vegans living their lifestyle – have gone too far.

There has got to be a better way to rack up a few laughs or subscribers than by explicitly violating the ethics of another person.

Cornell