This is why everyone is checking into Standing Rock on Facebook today

It’s about the Dakota Access Pipeline

Thousands of people are checking in at Standing Rock in North Dakota to express their solidarity with those who are protesting protestors of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

A post is circulating that claims the Morton County Sheriff’s Department is using people’s Facebook check-ins to geotarget and arrest the protesters.

It says: “The Morton County Sheriff’s Department has been using Facebook check-ins to find out who is at Standing Rock in order to target them in attempts to disrupt the prayer camps. So Water Protectors are calling on everyone to check-in at Standing Rock, ND to overwhelm and confuse them. This is concrete action that can protect people putting their bodies and well-beings on the line that we can do without leaving our homes.”

The post in question

That’s why people across the country and around the world are checking in on Facebook in the hope of confusing authorities and to support the demonstration.

This has come after several months of protests at the Standing Rock reservation over the proposal of the pipeline, which native residents say will threaten water reserves and their traditional, sacred lands.

Cornell